Roger Saneholtz, OD – Class of 1974 – Notable Alumnus

Roger SaneholtzMy initial practice experience was with the United States Air Force for three years at Wurtsmith Air Force Base in Oscoda, Michigan. I have spent the last 37 years in private practice in Montpelier, Ohio, which is a small town in the very northwestern corner of the state, 187 miles from Columbus. As a professional in a small town, I have had the opportunity to get involved in many aspects of my community including, the school board, hospital board, library board, Chamber of Commerce, United Fund, various church boards, senior citizen advisory board, Montpelier Area Foundation, and coaching youth sports.

My entire life structure is attributable to the current Ohio State adage, “But for Ohio State.” It starts with meeting my wife of almost 40 years there. Both of our sons are Ohio State graduates, and their wives are Ohio State alumnae. My first grandson was born at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center. All our financial success is due to our Ohio State degrees. I think I understand Woody Hayes’s idea of “Paying It Forward,” but I continue to feel that I still owe much more to Ohio State for what it has provided for me all of these years.

My alumni association involvement began almost 20 years ago at the suggestion of Arol Augsburger that I be invited to join the Optometry Alumni and Friends board. I have been privileged to work with three great Deans (Drs. Hill, Schoessler, and Shipp) and look forward to Dean Zadnik’s service to our College. I have been recognized by The Ohio State University Alumni Association as an Outstanding Society Leader in 2008 and as a Ralph Davenport Mershon awardee in 2010. This alumni service has led me to understand that our College of Optometry is a special place with very special people within the framework of an eminent University. Our College is certainly deserving of support from all of our alumni. Remember, your own degree is only as good as the last one presented by our College.

My photo is from this year’s Michigan game. From left to right, sons Austin, Brent, and me. This picture is the first time since the boys were very small that the three of us have attended a game together–a great day for the old man!