Gerald Lowther, OD, PhD, FAAO – Class of 1966 – Notable Alumnus

Gerald LowtherThe education I received at Ohio State has allowed me to do things, go places, and meet people from all over the world beyond what I could have ever imagined growing up in southern Ohio and attending OSU. I have had the pleasure of teaching, doing research, and publishing at four optometric institutions with the last position as Dean of the Indiana University (IU) School of Optometry. It is a joy to see the success of the graduates. Being involved in the profession in such ways as the American Academy of Optometry as its President, the National Board of Examiners in Optometry, and the International Society for Contact Lens Research have been fulfilling. Being able to help develop optometry programs to provide better vision care for people in countries like Poland and Thailand has been especially rewarding. Likewise, while at IU, being in a position to enable programs to provide vision care to the indigent population in both Indiana Mexico was gratifying. I have to thank my wife Andrya, also an Ohio State graduate, for her constant support and devotion as well as her involvement in the profession. I am fortunate to still be involved with the World Council of Optometry promoting vision care and optometry worldwide.