Second-Semester Interview

5 questions I asked my mentees:

1. Are you enjoying your major? Why or why not?
  2. How do you manage your time between your involvement and your academics?
  3. Have you enjoyed the ACES living-learning community in Smith-Steeb? Why or why not?
  4. Have your career plans changed since your first semester? Why or why not?
  5. What has surprised you about Ohio State since arriving on campus?

Irene Guggenheim-Triana  – Music Education Major

1. I love my major. It can be stressful at times, but it’s fun for me. The amount of passion I have for it definitely outweighs its stressors.
  2. I’m barely managing my time. I have about 2 hours of free time on the weekdays which is insane. I’m constantly doing homework and studying. One of the only ways I can get through it is by getting in a good mood and just milking that for as long as I can. I try to listen to my emotions too so that I know when I need to take a break and don’t overwork myself.
  3. I feel like I’m not in my room enough to know. The only time I’m here is to go to sleep. I’m always out studying elsewhere and by the time I get back everyone is tired and getting ready for the next day. I do have some quick casual conversations with people around the floor but that’s as far as it usually goes.
  4. My plans haven’t really changed. I still know the occupation that I want, and it still excites me. Only minor details have changed, like where I think I would want to work at.
  5. A lot has surprised me here. A pleasant surprise was how well the TA’s are here. They’re so understanding and knowledgeable that they make the class not as hard as it could be. Another thing that surprised me was how prominent the gender roles seem to be here. It feels like boys should be doing one thing while girls should be doing another. One more thing that surprised me was the general differences between home on the east coast and life here in the Midwest. I would have to say that I like it more back home just because I’m used to how everything is.

McKenzy Richie– Early Childhood Education Major

1. I love my major so far. FEEP has allowed me to see more into the career I want to have, and it seems fun. However, some of the other classes seem very straightforward and can tend to be boring and repetitive.
  2. In order to manage my time I have to plan ahead of time and am constantly scheduling my time. It works well when I get things done before hand so I can attempt to have free time. My free time usually only comes on the weekends.
  3. I’m getting used to the living community in my residence hall. The rooms themselves are so nice. I just wish that the people on my floor were closer to each other and we we’re a huge friend group.
  4. My career plans haven’t really changed. I love the teaching field and the classes have strengthened my love for it. The only thing that has kind of changed was the grade level I’m willing to teach. I think 2ndgrade will always be my favorite, but I’m open to pretty much anything. It really all depends on what jobs are available at the time.
  5. One thing that surprised me here was how easy some of the classes were to me. Since Ohio State is such a prestigious school, I didn’t expect my classes to be easy to relate to as they are.