The colors of butterfly wings, the strength of an abalone shell, and the adhesive properties of gecko feet arise from the arrangement of smaller building blocks which comprise these structures. REU students at Indiana University Bloomington will engage in in-depth study of materials chemistry and, in particular, how materials assemble from smaller entities (atoms and molecules) into larger structures and the function of assembled forms. The projects for REU students include both synthesis and characterization of materials and their building blocks, with opportunities for students with interests in all areas of chemistry.
Students in the program will engage in a 10-week summer research experience beginning in May 2020. They will participate in weekly career development discussions and visit local companies such as Eli Lilly and CRANE Naval Surface Warfare Center.
Participants will receive a $500 per week stipend, a travel allowance up to $500, on-campus housing, and a meal allowance.
More information is available on their website and flyer.
Applications will open in November and are due January 31, 2020.
Want to jump start your search for the right research program? Check out this listing of programs that have recently reached out to CBC students.
Are you looking for a Research Intern position? ZeoVation, located here in Columbus Ohio is hiring an hourly-paid internship starting in September 2018.
ZeoVation (ZV) is a OSU spin off materials company developing products for the consumer, environmental and chemical industries. Currently, they market 2 zeolite products for academic and industrial development as well as 2 functional material products for consumer product manufacturing.
They are looking for highly motivated individuals to join their product research & development (R&D) team.
You will be trained on research and product development level chemical laboratory operation skills. Learn about new material development process. Work on lab-scale manufacturing of zeolites for research and development purpose and will be involved in product developments.
– Help maintain and optimize nanozeolite and hierarchical zeolite synthesis in R&D lab
– Produce nanozeolite and hierarchical zeolite raw products for R&D and sampling purposes
– Help develop nanozeolite synthesis protocols
– Record production and generate reports
– Two years of experience working in chemistry/materials research labs
– Undergraduate student or BS degree holder in chemistry/materials major
– Proficiency in chemistry experiment operations
– Interested in chemical process scale up
– Excellent oral and written communications skills are required
– Must be self-motivated and prepared to learn andadopt new techniques as needed
Bo Wang, PhD .
Co-Founder at ZeoVation