Offered in Spring 2023.
Dr. Nicole Karn
1 credit hour
Chem 2990: Introduction to Chemical Research is a seminar course focusing on the development of professional skills, conducting literature searches, writing research papers, and exploring careers and research options.
- Improve research skills
- Hone writing skills
- Meet chemistry faculty
Prereq: CHEM 1220, 1620, or 1920H, and English 1110
PPG Specialty Synthesis Group is seeking an entry-level Research Chemist for their process development team located in Monroeville, PA. The research chemist’s principal responsibility is developing a robust synthesis and purification method for novel OLED emitters.
- Develop scalable synthetic processes for OLED emitters that are reproducible and cost effective through a thorough scientific approach.
- Evaluate the synthesis for new emitters as they are identified. Provide samples using a commercially feasible synthetic strategy.
- Advance technology used in the laboratory to improve process development understanding and reduce cycle times (EasyMax/Optimax, EasyViewer).
- Analyze and interpret analytical results and make process changes as necessary.
- Provide support for scale up of new products by technicians in both a kilo lab and plant setting.
- Help support existing commercial as well as pre-commercial and developmental products.
- Support the use of quality tools (critical thinking, DOE, statistical analysis etc.) as applicable in the development of new processes.
- Hands-on laboratory experiments using common chemistry equipment and instruments (HPLC, UPLC, GC).
- Effectively communicates within the work team and provides clear and concise documentation of technical results.
- Works in a safe manner. Reads, understands and follows all pertinent SOPs.
- B.S. in Chemistry.
- Entry level, no industry experience required.
Transcendia is a company that prides itself in quality, reliable, and consistent products that are sent out to their many clients around the world. They research and develop products to fit a variety of needs, and in order to keep improving and developing the best products, Transcendia is looking to hire a new Research and Development Technologist (R&D).
If you are looking for a job after graduation where you can push yourself and develop new things, this job is for you.
Some of the duties of this job will include:
- Conducts specialized tests and evaluations of materials and packaging samples in support of departmental activities including, but not limited to the following:
- Material thickness/yield/basis weight
- Surface energy, Coefficient of Friction
- Tensile tests (seal strength, elongation, tensile strength, yield strength)
- Tear resistance, impact/puncture strength
- Heat seal and other package strength characterizations
- Optical Microsopy
- Material chemical characterization (FTIR)
- Thermal analysis (DSC)
- Barrier testing (WVTR, OTR), film noise characterization
- Maintains database of raw materials linked to product chemical composition
- THERE ARE MORE DUTIES, THESE ARE ONLY A FEW! For more, see the link below
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Engineering, Chemistry, or a related field, with a curriculum that included chemistry and laboratory coursework
- Up to five years of experience in a manufacturing setting
- Experience in Infrared Spectroscopy highly preferred
- Must have organizational skills with an ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Must possess good problem-solving skills
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with employees
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Proficient in Excel and Word
- Willingness to work as team member or independently
If this sounds like the job for you, Apply Here
Research & Development internships at Dow AgroSciences are available in chemistry, biology, and computer science related disciplines, including, but not limited to, biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, microbiology, plant breeding, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, surface chemistry, engineering (chemical, biological, material, or optical) and informatics (bio and chem). The laboratory-based Research and Development internships are located at our global headquarters in Indianapolis, Indiana. This is a paid internship; salaries are determined by the student’s year in school. Subsidized housing is available for qualified students. Eligible students will be pursuing a Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree from a U.S. based college or university with proper U.S. work authorization, or the ability to obtain work authorization through their university. Interested students should apply at on the DowAgroSciences website.
Applications will be accepted between August 15 and November 1, 2016 for the 2017 Program
Want to jump start your search for the right program? Check out this listing of programs that have recently reached out to CBC students.