Offered in Spring 2022.
Tues & Thurs 9:35am – 10:55am
Instructor: Dr. Christopher Callam
Prereqs: CHEM 2520 or 2620 or 2920
The main course objective is for everyone to gain a better understanding of glycolscience. Students will develop a working knowledge of the synthesis, conformation, and biological importance of carbohydrates and oligosaccharides. This course is designed to help develop scientific problem solving skills and application of organic and biochemistry to new situations.
- Weeks 1-3: Structure and Conformation
- Weeks 3-6: De-gradative Reactions in Acid and Base, Protecting Group Strategies and Functional Group Inter-conversions
- Weeks 6-8: Reactions at the Anomeric Center and Pseudosugars
- Weeks 8-10: Chemical Glycoside Synthesis
- Week 11: Spectroscopy of Carbohydrates
- Weeks 12-14: Biosynthesis of Carbohydrates and Enzymatic Synthesis Methods, Biochemical implications
Evaluation and Grading: 2 midterm exams, take-home quizzes, literature review, and a synthesis project.