As a lab intern, you will prepare laboratory tests to determine chemical and physical characteristics or composition of plant process samples for such purposes as quality control, process control, or product development by performing the following duties.
- Collects samples for lab analysis at specified locations, stages of processing and time interval. Labels sample
containers with identifying data.
- Ability to understand and perform lab tests on process samples using wet chemistry methods, microbiological testing
and light microscopy techniques. Prepares samples for testing by analytical equipment.
- Sets up, adjusts and operates laboratory equipment and instruments such as liquid chromatography, Ion
chromatography, NIR, centrifuge, pH meters, chemical balance scales, spectrophotometer and other equipment.
- Performs Quality Assurance/Control analysis on instruments, tools and methods.
- Performs quality control testing on final products to verify conformity to specifications.
- Records test results on standardized form, enters daily test results into plant database and communicates this
information to appropriate personnel.
- Maintains safety in the lab by using personal protective equipment as needed, proper labeling of chemical containers,
being familiar with Material Safety Data Sheets and maintaining cleanliness of lab.
- Cleans and sterilizes laboratory equipment.
- Calibrates laboratory instruments.
- Prepares chemical solutions according to standard formulas.
- Fosters a culture of safe behavior and environmental compliance at all times.
- Maintains a team environment at all times and champion POET in the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS/COMPETENCIES
To perform the essential functions of this position successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Completed junior level courses majoring in Chemistry (preferred) or Biochemistry.
- Experience working with HPLC, analytical balance, pipettes Knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite and the ability and willingness to learn new software applications.
- Excellent organizational, time management and communication skills and the ability to adapt to change.
Apply here if interested!