Graduating seniors, scholarship recipients, award winners, and their families gathered together for an evening of honoring academic excellence at the 2017 Undergraduate Graduation & Awards Banquet (formerly Convocation). A handful of CBC alumni and donors joined to meet and network with our students.
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry Chair, Dr. Susan Olesik, began the evening by congratulating our students, honoring our alumni and donors, and thanking the families of our students for supporting their path of an education in Chemistry or Biochemistry.
Vice Chair of Undergraduate Studies, Dr. Terry Gustafson, began his presentation by acknowledging our diversified students who make our department excellent! We aren’t all chemists and biochemists here – 13 of our students graduated with double majors or dual degrees which include areas such as: Anthropology, English, Psychology, and many more! 57 of our graduates also earned a minor in another field besides Chemistry or Biochemistry! We also had a number of distinguished graduates; graduating with honors, Latin honors, research distinction, and ACS certification. And to top it all off, we had 8 students place at the Denman Undergraduate Research Forum this year!
After thanking our scholarship donors and congratulating our students who received scholarships for the 2017/2018 academic year – Dr. Gustafson honored and called upon our award winners. Congratulations to the following students on your well-earned awards – we hope you are proud of yourselves:
- Distinguished Undergraduate Student Teachers: Scott Garner, Emma Ford, Eric Houchen (This award recognizes three chemistry majors who exhibit exemplary performance as undergraduate teaching assistants)
- Undergraduate Student Teacher, Rookie of the Year: Dennis Yang (This award recognizes a chemistry major who exhibits exemplary performance as a new undergraduate teaching assistant)
- Freshman Chemistry Award: Nathan T. Kudlapur (This award recognizes a top student enrolled in the Honors General Chemistry sequence)
- Sophomore Chemistry Award: Stephanie Li (This award recognizes a top student enrolled in the Honors Organic Chemistry sequence)
- Junior Chemistry Achievement Award from the ACS Columbus Chapter: Evan Lach (This award recognizes a top junior majoring in either chemistry or biochemistry)
- Senior Chemistry Achievement Award from the ACS Columbus Chapter: Jonathon Stewart (This award is recognizes a top senior majoring in either chemistry or biochemistry)
- Undergraduate Award in Organic Chemistry from the ACS Division of Organic Chemistry: Emma Ford (This award recognizes a top student majoring in either chemistry or biochemistry who has demonstrated excellence in organic chemistry based on a combination of research experience, coursework, and a desire to pursue a career in chemistry)
- Partners for Progress and Prosperity ACS Presidential Award: Nathaniel Wesley (This award is given out to an outstanding undergraduate researcher in honor of the memory of Professor Devon W. Meek)
- Irene Rosenfeld Scientific Achievement Award: Max Yudovich and Ryan Judd (This award was established by the estate of Irene Rosenfeld, a biochemist with achievements in the study of the biology of selenium, with additional contributions by others. This award recognizes top graduating seniors majoring in biochemistry who has accomplished an outstanding level of academic achievement in the sciences)
- Hypercube Scholar Award from Hypercube, Inc: Alex Patterson (Hypercube Inc. is the developer of HyperChem and other molecular modeling products. This award recognizes a top student who has demonstrated scholastic excellence in chemistry)
Congratulations Chemistry and Biochemistry Class of 2017!