Module 6 – Searching and Researching: The Foundations of Academic Writing

The most useful thing that I have learned in this module is the difference between search and research. Before this module, I would have assumed that they meant the same thing within the scope of academics. After this module, I have learned that there is indeed a very important difference. Rather than just searching for a topic, research involves the active analysis and applying of information to a thoughtful question. As Marc Prensky said “Kids need to know that while search involves just looking, research involves a whole discipline of behaviors.” (http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky-Search_vs_Research-01.pdf)

Some ideas that I could put into practice in the future is the various research methods that can be used to maximize relevant information to the questions being asked when attempting to do research for future assignments. For example, various resources may prove to be more helpful in looking for certain things as opposed to just resorting to google most of the time. Not only that, but I can also use the Boolean logic search method, specific searches, and do scholarly searches to help me find the most useful and relevant information.

I recommend for future students to understand that there is a difference between searching for topics and researching them, and when that is understood, to use various methods and tools to find the best information for their research. There is a lot of information out there, but one has to learn how to use technology accordingly to get the best benefit from it!