Module 5: Web Enhanced Listening and Viewing Strategies

The most useful thing that I have learned in this module is the techniques to use to write notes during lectures. Too often, I have either written notes that aren’t important, or just not written notes because of being so tired that I just wasn’t sure what all to write due being overwhelming. As mentioned in the “Taking Notes in Class” video by Indiana University (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc5qyMTjO3k&feature=youtu.be&t=31s), the techniques such as listening actively, summarize key points, keep up with the speed, ask later if something is missed, and structure the information in a clear, concise manner to name a few, are all useful and important tactics for me to use in future classes.

One thing that I plan to use in the future from this module is to try writing down my notes, as opposed to typing them. Since typing is so fast, it really is so easy to just type the words and not use my brain while I am typing them. It makes sense, as learned in this module, that writing down takes more time, and as such, we must use our brain to understand which points are important and relevant to our learning.

I would recommend for future students to take these note taking techniques and tips and apply them to future classes since so many students do not know how to really take notes. I would also recommend for students to try writing down notes since it may be more beneficial than simply writing down information more quickly.