Final Reflection

This semester I chose to use mentor council as my project. I completed 15+ hours with going to the seminar and reading their e-portfolio’s and interviews. I went about completing my project by going to the seminars and interacting with my mentees, catching up with how their week has been, being friendly when I see them and talking with them when we pass each other. I also didn’t push them to hang out or do things because I know some of them probably made a smooth transition and didn’t want to seem like a “helicopter mentor”. I just wanted them to know I was there if they needed and wanted to make myself approachable if they had any questions. While I completed the project and put in the required hours, it would have been more rewarding if I had changed a few things. Going back, I would have tried harder to go down to their floor to hang out. I did that one evening and it was really fun so if I did that more than once I think it could have solidified our relationship whether it was mentor-mentee or just friends. I also wish we had actually made plans to hang out as a mentor group. We talked about it multiple times, we just never followed through with it. Even though there are some things I would have changed, I still learned some things from this project. I gained the experience of being a mentor in the sense of letting them know you’re there for them, but not being like a parent, more like a friend. I also learned how to facilitate conversations when no one in the group wants to participate or how to help a mentee who is an introvert get their word in and have their voice heard.