Perspective: Process

Perspective

Design 2130 Visualizations AU21

Jorie Capper

Accurately portraying what we see through drawings is important. Achieving this accuracy takes practice, technique, and repetition. In order to learn and implement two point perspective, I first had to form a foundation in contour and and space in drawing. By practicing with various techniques, I am able to translate the skills learned in the exercises to compose a two point perspective studio space.

Exercises

Line work

Through the process of ghosting, I worked to practice seeing the line and establishing muscle memory before drawing, which increases my accuracy and helps me to hit my mark more consistently.

Straight Line Exercise

Contour of an object

Learning the contour of an object helps to convey a basic understanding of its shape and can help accuracy when moving into more detailed drawings. In design, three dimensional contour is beneficial for representing volumetric space and communicating its relation to the space in which an object is held.

Warm up

By tracing the contour of various objects, such as the face of the person across the table from me, without looking at the paper and with a limited time for work, I learn to trust my eye and my hand.

Blind Contour Exercise

Exercise

Using the confidence established during my line work, I am able to more accurately contour objects. I began to trace the contour of my chosen object, a hammer, in a single line without lifting my pencil.

Single Line Contour Exercise

Once I knew the object more thoroughly, I drew and cut out a stencil of the contour. While experimenting with overlap and line weight, I traced this multiple times in two different works, creating a final diptych.

Contour Final Diptych

Still Life

With my new knowledge of contour and line work, I can shift my focus to more a complex, geometric still life. Triangulation enables me to quickly sketch with better framing and proportions. After multiple timed sketches to practice drawing the general shapes and how they interacted, I viewed the objects from different angles to get a better understanding of them.

Thirty-Second Sketches of Still Life

I produced one final piece, a diptych, of one still life including construction lines, and one without, using lines to imply shading. By utilizing various line weights for emphasis, I am able to create further distinction between objects.

Still Life Final Diptych

Perspective

One point

I established my knowledge of vanishing points and horizon lines and practiced putting simple shapes into one point perspective. With the cubes I made, I am able to create more complex shapes in correct perspective, such as ellipses and cylinders.

One Point Perspective Practice

Two point

In order to place objects at an angle to the field of view, I can use two point perspective. Through the method of placing objects on a flat grid, I am able to translate it into perspective space with accurate placing and measurements.

Two Point Perspective Practice
Perspective Translation Practice

Production

I used my perspective grid to create a studio space in two point perspective.

Perspective Grid

Iterations

To create a studio space in two point perspective, I used my 12in x 12in grid to map out where I wanted to place my objects such as a desk, a shelf, and seating.  From there, I used that as reference and placed my objects using bounding boxes. I used multiple pieces of trace paper in order to try different placements and styles of detailing.

Placement Iteration
Iteration One
Iteration Two
Iteration Three

Final

From this I learned the importance of accuracy. I very much enjoy the use of perspective to design a space, and tracing paper is extremely useful when looking at the overlap of different objects in the space. As this is my first project, I will be sure to be precise and make use of the tools I have in future projects.

Link to Portfolio Project