Faculty Mentor Spotlight: Dr. Mark Mba Wright

“The CABLE program brings together a unique diversity of faculty, students, and staff with a wide range of perspectives around leadership, mentorship, research, teaching, and service. It is inspiring to see such a large group come together and work productively towards supporting the next generation of Bioeconomy leaders.”

Q: What university are you the Faculty Mentor for and what is your area of expertise?
Dr. Wright: I am the Faculty Mentor for Iowa State University. My background is in lifecycle economic and environmental analysis of energy systems. My previous work focused on reducing the costs of biofuels and biochemicals using thermochemical systems like pyrolysis and gasification. I am currently interested in carbon negative energy systems for reducing atmospheric CO2 levels and mitigating impacts of climate change.

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
Road trips, international travel, and basketball are my favorite hobbies. I am very curious about different cultures and hope to visit every continent at least once. So far, I have been to 4. I played basketball almost every day through graduate school and now I keep up as much as I can.

What attracted you to becoming a mentor for the CABLE program and what do you hope to gain from your experience?
The CABLE program brings together a unique diversity of faculty, students, and staff with a wide range of perspectives around leadership, mentorship, research, teaching, and service. It is inspiring to see such a large group come together and work productively towards supporting the next generation of Bioeconomy leaders. I hope to learn as much as possible from the program how to best mentor students and work collaboratively with leaders across the country.

How do you think being a mentor for CABLE Student Delegates will impact their leadership development?
My hope is to help expand the career horizon for CABLE Student Delegates. Few students get an opportunity to appreciate their potential for moving the Bioeconomy forward. As CABLE Student Delegates, they gain a broader view of their opportunities, professional network, and societal challenges. As a mentor, I try to facilitate their search for a purpose or best-fit in the Bioeconomy.

If you could pass on any wisdom to CABLE Student Delegates, what would you share?
Find a passion that fits in with your values and develop the strengths that will contribute to the career and lifestyle that you envision. As my favorite author, Paulo Coelho, would say: the universe will conspire to make your dreams come through.

What is the most important leadership lesson you’ve learned and how is it valuable?
Leadership is both a skill and a habit. Walk, talk, and think like a leader, and the world will follow.