G.O.A.L.S.

G

O: One of the courses I took this year was Evidence Based Practice. It teaches nursing students about the concepts behind evidence based practice and how it is used in the health care setting. Evidence based practice is a way of looking at current health care practices from a quantitative and qualitative view, and deciding if the data collected about the practice supports the continued use of said practice. During this course we were tasked with developing our own EBP projects, and my group decided to look at nurse and patient data regarding 8 v. 12 hour shifts. It was a relatively difficult process, but it was definitely interesting to see how decisions about healthcare practices are made.

A: For my upperclassmen interview, I spoke to my peer mentor Christian Dela Cruz. He is a student in the nursing program and a third year here at Ohio State. I mainly asked him questions about how to succeed in the prerequisites required for the nursing program and what being in the nursing program is like. Most importantly, he told me to work hard and ask questions in my prerequisite classes. The average GPA of freshman admitted to the nursing program is a 3.8, and in order to attain that I need to dedicate myself to my classes. Along with this, he emphasized the importance of the essays. Although GPA is important, the essays help to make an applicant more than a number and show the admissions committee why an applicant wants to be a nurse. In terms of the actual program itself, Christian said it is very exciting and rewarding. He didn’t get in the first year and decided to apply again. Although he added a fifth year, he says that he wouldn’t want to be in any other program. Although at the time he hadn’t had many clinicals, he said they were exciting and a great way to apply what he has learned. I am really hoping to get into the nursing program so I can have the same experiences that he has had.

L: This year I took part in the HSS peer mentor program and was a member of the Second Year Task Force. These two activities allowed me to mentor underclassmen and plan meetings that encouraged team-building and responsibility. I really enjoyed taking part in both of these groups. I think it really helped me develop as a leader while simultaneously allowing me to work with my friends.

S: The past two semesters I volunteered at Wexner Medical Center as an Ambassador. My job mainly consisted of guiding patients throughout the hospital and answering any questions they had to the best of my ability. I volunteered with Wexner for a total of 40 hours this year and really enjoyed getting to help others each shift. It reassured me that I want to dedicate my life to helping others and that the medical field is the perfect place to do so.