G.O.A.L.S. in Biological Science Scholars

My journey in the Bio Sci Scholars program is just beginning as I write this. I have been working to develop my skills and working to accomplish the G.O.A.L.S. of this program already. There are also many things I still need to do in order to not only fulfill the requirements of this program, but also to advance myself as an individual in the future. In order to one day embody all of the G.O.A.L.S. together, I have decided to focus on them all separately in my time at college and improve at one at a time.

Global Awareness is something that I am really excited to improve upon and learn about. One of the most important skills when it comes to global awareness is to always keep an open mind, something I really commit to. In order to directly react with the world outside of my community, I plan to study abroad at some point in my college career. To help start me on my journey, I am attending an information session about three of these programs next month. I hope one of these places interests me and is somewhere I can go to learn not only about a specific subject, but also to learn about a new culture.

Original Inquiry is a topic that I intend to start getting into a little bit down the road. I have not taken place in any research yet, but it is something that I intend on working on as soon as next year. To help start me, I have signed up for the Office of Undergraduate Research’s email list. I get all sorts of information from the Office and will pursue some opportunities as soon as I figure out what type of research I want to do.

Academic Enrichment is easy for us Scholars students, fortunately. First, thanks to the scholars program, we can easily connect with many students who are taking classes similar to us and we are able to collaborate with each other and really learn from one another. Also, being in scholars, honors classes are easier for us to get into and this is a great way to advance learning and push ourselves in the classroom. Additionally, I have considered joining clubs that have to do with Biology or other scientific fields and this will be a great way to academically enrich myself.

Leadership Development may be the area that I have done the most already, but it is an area I am very interested in and want to continue to grow in. In high school, I was the captain of the Varsity Baseball team. This experience helped me immensely with leadership. Already at OSU, I have joined the College Leadership Program through Fiji. In the future, I hope to eventually work myself into a leadership position in one of my clubs. Through these activities I will learn and have learned a lot about leadership and will also get to actually be a leader in the real world.

Service Engagement is also something that I take pride in. In high school, I was very involved in the Interact Service Club. At Ohio State volunteering opportunities and service events are everywhere and this should be easy for me. Through both scholars and other clubs, there are plenty of opportunities to make the world a better place and truly serve others. Also, I love working with kids and there are many ways I can serve by working with children.