About Me

Hi! My name is Ben Buehrer and I am a first-year biology student at The Ohio State University and I am also considering a business minor. I am in the Biological Science Scholars Program. I was born in Toledo, Ohio in January of 1999. I lived in a small, rural town outside of Toledo called Delta until seventh grade when I then moved to Powell. This suburb of Columbus represented a very big change in lifestyle and environment for me. This new place would end up shaping me into who I am today while also helping prepare me for other big changes to come. Delta’s size gave me some important small town values, but Powell gave me some of the exposure that I needed while also holding great opportunity for me to succeed.

Being a part of the Olentangy Liberty Baseball program has had a great effect on me. The coaches took great pride in not only furthering our abilities on the field, but also in making us better, more well-rounded men off the field. In my four years in the program I was exposed to some very motivating people and this rubbed off on me as I was the team captain my senior year. The way I approach each day of my life has been greatly impacted by the time I spent in the program.

When making my college decision, I knew it was going to be Ohio State. At Ohio State, the Scholars program was something that was very appealing to me. It offered out-of-classroom enrichment without requiring any honors courses, something that intimidated me as I was entering college. The scholars program also seemed to be a great place to find community and involvement. On top of everything the scholars program had to offer, they also had a program that fit my interest, Biological Science. I found the Bio Sci scholars program at Ohio State to be the perfect thing for me in the perfect place for me.

Although I have a great interest in biology and the sciences in general, I have yet to decide on a specific career path for myself. I have a great interest in the outdoors and I am an avid hunter and fisherman with a great appreciation for nature. Something that gets me outside would be ideal, but I find myself still somewhat far from determining a specific career. However, I feel that the Scholars program will help me figure things out and get me steered in the right direction. I am excited to get started at Ohio State in the Scholars program!