Get Yourself Tested (GYT) – Part 2!
Since April is STD Awareness Month, this seems like a good time to blog about what an STD check visit is like at Student Health. So who gets STD testing at SHS? Students who:
- have symptoms (like burning or itching with urination, discharge, painful intercourse)
- feel fine, but are scared about possible exposures
- feel fine, but want a check-up because they are with a new partner
- have occasional hook-ups, and want to make sure they haven’t acquired anything
- come in for other problems that turn out to be STDs (Surprise!)
Whatever brings you in, our SHS clinicians are happy to talk to you and answer any questions you may have about STD’s: symptoms you may have, concerns about your partner, ways to protect yourself, and many other subjects. SHS offers confidential tests for reasonable cost including:
- urine testing for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea
- blood testing for HIV and Syphilis.
As always, check with your insurance company regarding possible coverage for medical tests.
In addition, our friends at the Student Wellness Center at the RPAC offer free anonymous oral HIV tests that give results in minutes.
Good Sexual Health!!
Roger Miller, MD for BuckMD