Misconceptions

Emily Simila, first-year, psychology

When people think of Newark, Ohio, the thought of a city like Los Angeles or Chicago doesn’t exactly come to mind. Why is that? One tends to believe what they hear, and not what they observe for themselves. Therefore, when I give campus tours, the number one statement that I hear is how happily surprised people are with the size of the campus and the endless activities that we offer. However, let’s get real here. The general population thinks that regional campuses won’t have that “homey” feel or the fun social activities for students. Ohio State Newark proudly breaks that stereotype.

You may be asking, “What activities are you talking about?” The gym, Adena Hall, is the peanut butter to my jelly. When I give tours, the gym gets the crowd excited, as if they are seeing one for the first time. With the renovation of 10,000 square feet, Adena Hall now has a separate room that has a pull-down projector screen that allows you to put on any guided workout videos. With basketball, dodgeball, laser tag, volleyball tournaments and much more offered, Adena Hall is extremely hard to miss. The Warner Center is one of the top attractions. With a ping-pong table, foosball, pool tables and endless food, how could you go wrong? Lastly, when Ohio weather chooses to come through and cooperate, sand volleyball is the name of the game. Because Ohio State Newark is a smaller campus, a majority of students get the memo about certain activities; therefore, it is much easier to make friends.

Our Office of Student Life here pulls through like no other. The office sends out notices of MANY different and fun activities (and I am not just using the word “fun” for the heck of it)! Every week multiple events gather students in for a night they will happily look back on. Karaoke night, comedy shows, trivia, movie nights and adventurous games like “Murder in the Dark” and “Hungry Hippos”. Yes, we are in college, but we know how to put a smile on people’s faces.

At Ohio State Newark, it is our goal to make students here feel like a huge family. That is why community dinners are occasionally offered, free of charge. Pancake night was the top attraction so far this year! However, if you are an adventurous soul, Ohio State Newark can still supply you with all of your needs. Along the outside premises of our campus is a trail that travels several miles long, with beautiful views of nature. This is a common attraction for students that like to longboard, bike, run, roller-skate and so on. In addition, Newark has several parks, and one is located right off of the trail, behind McConnell Hall. One of the best activities to do in Newark is to rent a canoe at our local Infirmary Mound Park! Lastly, Dawes Arboretum is a nearby attraction that literally catches people’s eye.

You may be thinking “Emily, what if I want to do more stuff off of campus?” Well, if you are looking for a fun night off campus, right across from our residence halls is an ice skating rink. On Friday nights, many students go to this rink and have the time of their life. A bowling alley, roller skating arena and movie theatres are all around our campus too! Additionally, about two miles away from campus sits a street that will become your best friend; North 21 street. There is a Roosters, Panda Express, coffee shops and more. Additionally, just nearly 5-10 minutes away from Ohio State Newark, is a golf course, a spa, a country club, fitness centers, a theatre and more fun activities!

I can assure you that if you seek out these attractions and attend the activities provided by student life Ohio State Newark will be the place that you call your new home. I look forward to seeing you all next year!

More about Emily:

I am a freshmen here at Ohio State Newark, and I am also a buckeye guide on campus. I went to high school at Upper Arlington (go bears), and I am very interested in becoming a sport psychologist, therefore my major is psychology. I have always wanted to be a buckeye and have the privilege to say that I go to Ohio State University.