What high school students want to know about college. -Olivia Hoffman

You asked, I answered: What high school students want to know about college.

I work as a student ambassador for Ohio State ATI, which is part of the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Science Wooster, Ohio campus. As part of my job, I must find a way to connect with prospective students and help them navigate the path to enrolling at Ohio State ATI. At first, I struggled to conjure up the questions that I once asked as a high school student, so I decided to ask some friends that are still in high school; “What are some big questions that you have about college?” Here is what they asked:

Is it difficult making new friends in college?

Not seeing your friends from high school every day can be a big change, but there are a multitude of ways to get involved and make friends in college. Ohio State ATI’s apartment village has large courtyards for barbeques, kick ball games, corn hole tournaments, and bonfires. I met my best friend by participating in activities like these. Our Student Activities Center holds events like painting parties, tailgates, dances, and intramural sports, which helped me get to know a lot of my classmates outside of class. My classmates and I carpooled to our labs at the farm, restaurants, grocery stores, and study-group meetings.
Every freshman in college is moving into an unknown atmosphere. They are all trying to make friends and find their niche. Don’t be afraid to talk to the person next to you in the lounge or the cafeteria line; they may be looking for a friend too!

Are the classes hard?

Although I hate this answer, it depends. Many of the classes will be specific to a major, which makes them more interesting and easier to understand for a lot of our students. Other classes are easy for some students, and others find it very difficult. If you find that a class is hard, there is a good chance that other people find it difficult, too. At Ohio State ATI, we have a Learning Lab for students to work through that material with a tutor — for free! Making friends in those difficult classes can result in impromptu study groups, and working with your academic advisor can help you navigate the course material. A student support program called Program Excel pairs students with an advisor to help with class work, balancing school and work, scheduling classes, and other essentials. Never be afraid to speak with your professor. Professors put their office hours and office location on the syllabus for a reason. Almost all my professors are willing to answer emails, take phone calls, and visit in person to help me. Librarians are awesome for almost any subject or research project. Although a few classes may seem difficult, there are plenty of resources to use to overcome those obstacles.

How long does it take to get used college life?

This depends on the person, but for me, it did not take long. Getting involved in school events and making friends eases the transition into college life. Living on campus is a new experience for some of your roommates and your neighbors, so you are not alone in this process. Resident Advisors (RAs) are a great resource for any housing need. RAs help you understand housing rules; they hold social events; and they always have your back. It’s okay to miss home. Call your family and friends and let them know how you are doing. Bring some things from home to make your apartment feel more inviting. Ask your mom for the recipe for your favorite meal that she makes. Call your siblings because they probably miss you too. Remember that college is a period of growth and maturing. Let yourself experience this next step into your future. Your family and friends will always be there for you. College has changed me in a few ways since high school. My diet is interesting (I eat a lot of cereal!), my sleep schedule is a bit erratic, and my studying abilities are advanced, but I am mature, I am a stronger student, and I have two of the best friends a person could ask for. How you experience college is up to you.

Go Bucks!
Olivia Hoffman