Do Not Hold Back!

Well I did it. I am officially done with my undergraduate degree! I will be receiving a Bachelors in English next weekend from The Ohio State University! As excited as I am, I can’t help but be a little sad. Ohio State Marion is not going to be an easy place to leave. This place has been my knowledge center for four years. I have cried here, I have laughed here, and I have made so many wonderful memories. Ohio State Marion has truly built me into the person that I am today. There have been so many people that have believed in me and pushed me even when I felt like I had no idea where to turn. I changed my major four times and yet I am actually graduating on time! I have been told so many times that my degree is too broad and I will have to receive my masters to do anything worthwhile or to even get a great job. I have been told that going to a branch campus would be a mistake. I have been told that you never will experience the world if you do not leave home at 18. To all the people telling college students and graduating high school seniors all of these things, I have a message for you. This degree has prepared me to be able to professionally write in any and every situation. Name one job where there is not some form of writing! Staying close to home was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life. I was able to financially put myself through school with minimal debt. I have had the support of my family every single step of the way throughout college. I have been able to give back to my hometown the entire time I have been in school.  I did this through speaking on behalf of all the students at the Marion campus last year at the groundbreaking of some amazing improvements to this campus. I also represented the Marion campus and Marion itself, as a member of the 2015 homecoming court. Not only was I able to participate on campus, but I also became apart of a local young adult group through Dayspring Wesleyan Church where I was able to meet new people and develop a spiritual support system that I cherish dearly. You do not have to leave home to do great things. You do not have to get the degree that everyone tells you to get. I will succeed and I will use this degree to do great things in the future. Do not ever let people tell you that you can’t do it or you are not making the best decision for yourself. They do not have to live your life, you do. So make every decision for yourself and do not let the idea of a regional campus hold you back from chasing your dreams. I am in the process of chasing mine thanks to this campus and I could not be more excited!