Mr. Darcy Saves Me!

Just when I thought my exhaustion level couldn’t reach a higher peak, it happened!

Monday:
I was already exhausted by Monday. I don’t know how it happened, but it did. Nothing was different really. My class and work schedule was the same. The only difference being one of my students asked me to cover his shift, in a department that I don’t even work in. I got my first Philosophy quiz back, and got a 14/25. So that was emotionally comforting. I was excited to leave work at 5 so I could go home and take a nap. However, my student is working very hard to be a drum major for The Best Damn Band in the Land, and if I can help him reach his goal, I will do all that I can. Long story short, I worked it out with his boss and I am now proctoring a Distance Learning Business class for Business majors on Monday nights from 5-6:50 for the next month or so, until TBDBITL practices end.

Tuesday:
I overslept, and was almost late to my ASL tutoring, but my tutor also overslept…so it worked out. Great start right…wrong. I had to skip my chiropractor appointment (3rd one in a row) due to meetings at campus. I had a brief break and attempted to type up my papers for Political Science. I managed to get them finished. After that I had a Habitat meeting to discuss details for our meeting on Friday, and our trip in March. After that meeting, I had to rush across campus because my next meeting changed locations at the last minute. I met with Marketing for the upcoming “Love” campaign to talk about the things I love at campus, and what I have enjoyed during my time at OSU. Immediately after the meeting, I had to rush to ASL, had a 30 minute break, and had to head to Political Science, where the professor decided to bump our papers, conveniently, to Thursday! I ended my night with a late (another!) meeting as we were interviewing our candidates for the American Sign Language Student Organization Outreach officer position. It was great meeting with the ladies and planning out some details for this semester.

Wednesday:
Had a quiz in Sociology and didn’t do well. 10 question quizzes can really fuck you up quickly! I missed 3/10 and ended up with a C, thank God 1 quiz will be dropped. I left Sociology for my student’s Comp Studies class, which was just a hot mess. I can’t even begin to start on where that Hot Mess train even began! Went to work, and then to Philosophy. Around 3ish, Hunter, Abbey and I all headed up to Columbus for Piper Kerman’s (author, Orange is the New Black) talk and book signing. She was awesome, and very nice. We were the first people in line to get her autograph and picture so we finished much quicker than we thought. She asked me what my “Juice” hat meant, so I tweeted her the link to the song, and she liked my tweet. 🙂

Thursday:
Started the day off studying for my ASL first unit quiz, and the culture quiz. I did pretty well, and even surprised myself. I ended up getting 100 on the culture quiz, and a 15/20 on the Unit 11 quiz. I knew I wasn’t going to do well after I forgot some signs from ASL 1101 that were used, that we haven’t used since early ASL 1102, but I passed, and still have a B in the class, so… After tutoring, I had work, and amazingly enough I finally had a student show to my tutor session! My time was not wasted, and glad I could help the student out. After ASL, I rushed over to Political Science class to get ready for our quizzes, and for my group review activity. We did pretty well, but for some reason a simple game seemed to be too hard to comprehend, even with very simple instructions written on the board. Rushing to class was pointless. We waited for 15 minutes and decided to leave. The professor called one of the students and mentioned he was in an accident and was cancelling the class we already cancelled. Hope he is ok, even if he is an offensive, inappropriate, racist, sexist, homophobic, Islamophobic asshole. After leaving Poli Sci I hit the cafeteria to grab some dinner, ate half the pizza before I paid, went to pay, opened my wallet and realized I took my card and money out of it Wednesday night so I wouldn’t spend money. Thankfully Melissa came and bailed me out. I was so embarrassed. After Melissa’s rescue, we went over to watch Deep Water Horizon, and we all ended up hanging outside of the auditorium instead. I wanted to see the movie, just as something to destress and have a mental break. It was definitely needed.

Friday:
I had to get up a bit earlier, as Jamie asked me to help Shanon at Buckeye Visit Day. It was a really great one. The students were so positive, and we had a lot of them that could apply to the Engineering Learning Community and the Buckeye Generation Learning Community for next year. Looking back, I am now disappointed because I kept saying my coworkers and I will be mentoring you, and only Coryn will be here in the Fall. It’s a bit depressing thinking of it, but also exciting because we will all be starting a new journey. I finally was able to meet with Jamie about a decision on which master’s program I will be pursuing at Walden University. She suggested that I pursue the General Program in Higher Education, but to also see if I can take the two additional courses in the Leadership and Student Success master’s, to see if I can get a dual master’s or at least to be able to claim a specialization in Leadership and Student Success, since they only have two additional courses that the General Program does not have. My goal is to submit my application next week. I am scheduling an additional appointment with Jamie to plan out what skills I need in Higher Education that I don’t have…that I can start working on obtaining before the end of Summer. We had our office meeting, and things went pretty well. Rushed to Philosophy with about 4 minutes to spare. I think today was the first day of class that I think I actually understood what was going on, but when I responded, I felt like an idiot and everything I said made no sense to him or me. This class is brutal! It’s challenging, and I think that’s actually why I am enjoying it more now. I do not like failing at anything, and this is challenging me to do better. We had our first Habitat meeting of the semester, and surprisingly finished much earlier. Thankfully due to a planned agenda, and being able to keep people focused. I ended up missing yet another chiropractor appointment (make that 4 now!). I came home and relaxed to Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies. I actually enjoyed it. It wasn’t meant to be a great movie. It was meant to be a comedic, B-rated horror-comedy, adaptation of the original. I was surprised that they made Mr. Bingley more attractive than Mr. Darcy…that’s not ok!

99 Days til Graduation!