Grades

It is not a surprise to those of us in college, and those who have completed college, that I haven’t had time to keep up with this blog like I had anticipated.

However, today is the first day of a new year. With that new year comes new priorities. I am making it a priority to do at least one post per week to detail my progress to May 7, 2017 when I will FINALLY graduate The Ohio State University with a Bachelor of Arts in English, and a minor in Education.

It will be 7 years in the making, but it isn’t about who completes a degree in 4 years, but that you complete it…or so someone said, anyways.

2015 was a rough year. I didn’t think that I would be able to find a way to financially cover my remaining classes. Thanks to Student Advocacy at OSU Columbus who covered my tuition for Fall 2015, and Spring 2016. I also want to thank Ohio Means Jobs, more importantly my case manager Heidi Wallace for helping make this a possibility. OMJ has covered my tuition for Fall 2016, and for Spring 2017. Initially they wanted me to continue my courses through Fall 2017 and graduate in December 2017. I am adamantly opposed to this, because I can complete all my remaining courses in Spring. I will be at 13 credit hours, which is only 1 more credit than “full time” I have taken 17 before, so I feel pretty confident that I can do this.

“No matter what ambitions you may have, good grades don’t necessarily tell us what you know or what you will be able to do with the understanding.” – What the Best College Students Do, by Ken Bain

In Spring 2016, I took Math 1050 and failed it tragically. Thanks to the new grade forgiveness, I was able to apply this and re-take it in Fall 2016. However, I failed it again (but with an improved failing grade). I also took Child Development again as the remaining course in my Education minor. I passed the course initially, but for the minor, I needed to retake it for a higher grade. I am so happy I did, because I ended up with an A in the course. I didn’t enjoy the course the first time I took it, but this time I truly loved it. It was probably due to how the course was restructured, and because of the professor…or a combination of both.

In early Fall 2016, I ran into a friend who works for OSU Student Services, and informed me I need to transition to Columbus so that I can 100% get a petition approved so that I do not have to take any math courses. I will instead take alternative math courses that incorporate math concepts, but not a math focus. I completed my campus change request, and was approved. When the Arts & Sciences advisor called me, she informed me that Newark campus offers the alternative courses that I was going to take at Columbus. After we talked she informed me that the Petition Committee had cancelled their meeting for the next day, and I wouldn’t find out if my petition was approved until January. I became frustrated and nervous that I would not get it. Immediately the next day, I received the email from the advisor that my petition was approved. I had to rearrange one class that was denied, but thankfully found the course they suggested that actually fit in the same time slot as the original course.

I am now officially enrolled in my four remaining courses: ASL 1103, Philosophy 1300, Sociology 2345, and Political Science 1200 (another course I failed, but I can use Grade Forgiveness on). My agenda to keep me on track to graduation now is as follows:

Meeting with OSU Student Services Tuesday morning.
Meeting with OSU Arts & Sciences Advisor Tuesday afternoon.
Cancel campus change and transfer back to Newark campus.
Ohio Means Jobs pay my tuition (pending).
Ohio Means Jobs book credit (approved, and hoping to get my books on Wednesday).
Schedule tutoring for ASL 1103, and possibly Philosophy 1300 (as I have heard nothing positive in 7 years about this professor or his course in general).
Apply for graduation.
Apply for Grade Forgiveness with my original advisor.
Print syllabi, and get an early start on the readings for Philosophy, Sociology, and Political Science.
Meeting with Career Services Friday to update resume and cover letter.
Get letter of recommendation from my former boss for 1 of 2 jobs I am applying for.
Send grad party invites.
Purchase graduation cap, gown, and ring.

…and remember GO BUCKS! (even if that Fiesta Bowl game was one hot mess!).