Artifacts

London Honors Final Assignment

Laura Brzozowski

Artifact 1-Tea

Shown above is me sipping tea at The Orangery Restaurant located in the Kensington Palace Gardens. Built in 1704 for Queen Anne, originally to house her citrus trees, the elegant greenhouse soon also became a place of entertainment. It is used today as a restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and tea time.

Pre-Trip:

I have always assumed tea is more popular in England than coffee and coffee is more favorable in the United States than tea. Tea drinking became “unpatriotic” in the United States following the Boston Tea Party of 1773. As a result, to this day, I see more Americans ordering a cup a coffee at their nearby Starbucks more frequently than tea. I myself am an avid tea drinker, but after hearing Dr. Angel’s lecture on tea, I find that I am drinking tea “wrong.” I had previously thought all tea needed was hot water to be added to it. Dr. Angel put down this notion by explaining that flavor is maximized by preparing tea a certain way. She went into great detail to describe how the water for the tea is to be boiled and the mug itself is to be heated for a proper cup of English tea. I did not know such lengths needed to be taken for a beverage. I am very curious to see firsthand how tea is made “properly” in London and to see if tea is as much of a staple in London as coffee is to the United States.

Post-Trip:

At The Orangery, I had my first cup of tea in England and my first cup of English Breakfast tea ever. I had previously thought that the English drank tea of all kinds (black, green, chamomile, etc.). While I did find that people occasionally choose to drink other flavors, the majority of tea drunken and served was English Breakfast tea. It was nearly always taken with cream and sugar, which I found particularly delicious. Tea was always served at breakfast and was as vital as water during lunch and dinner. While munching on tiny sandwiches and cakes and sipping tea, I realized why tea time is such a cultural phenomenon. It brings people together. It is a way to slow down life for a little bit and bring loved ones together to talk with one another. In the United States, coffee is mostly drank for its caffeine and taken in plastic cups on the go. It speeds up life, so people can get their day started earlier. Tea has the opposite effect in England. From the royals in the palace to the people in the countryside, tea has become a central figure in English family life and identity.

Artifact 2-Royal Shakespeare Company

Shown above is me standing in front of the Royal Shakespeare Company Learning Center in Stratford-upon-Avon. Established in the 1960’s, the company is a group of talented actors, actresses, producers, staff, and directors dedicated to performing various theater productions in Shakespeare’s birthplace. The Learning Center is a place many actors do workshops and rehearse. It is also the building we were fortunate enough to take part in an acting workshop with an actor from the company.

Pre-trip:

I hold a deep appreciation for the arts and theater. Therefore, I have a profound respect for the words of William Shakespeare and their inspiration to the world. I find traces of Shakespeare and his works everywhere in my modern day culture in books, movies, adaptations, cartoons, merchandise, etc. As described by Dr. Sarah Neville in her Phenomenon of Shakespeare lecture, Shakespeare’s plays were popular because the plots were easily adaptable, seen as radically differed, violated classical unities, and used mixed styles of writing. Today, Shakespeare is viewed as classier way of the arts. People believe that being acquainted with Shakespeare’s works or association with them is a means of being more well cultured. I personally find the phenomenon of Shakespeare to be overrated at times because of this. I believe that people use references to Shakespeare for their personal gain and social status rather than merely appreciation for this famous man and his magnificent work. I am curious to know more about the Royal Shakespeare. I only know that they are a performing arts group dedicated to honoring and performing Shakespeare’s works.

Post-trip:

When the group traveled to Stratford-upon-Avon, I honestly did not know what to expect to find in the small town. I soon learned that Shakespeare’s birthplace is not merely an old fashioned town with a few monuments erected in his honor. On the contrary, it is a bustling, beautiful home to many where Shakespeare’s memory and legacy is seen through the theaters and people. I was very surprised to find The Royal Shakespeare Company’s headquarters, theaters, and actors all located in this tiny town far away from the city and urban civilization just to keep the company in Shakespeare’s hometown. At the Royal Shakespeare Company’s Learning Center, it was such a privilege and treat to participate in an acting workshop with one of the company’s actors. It was also extremely enjoyable to see the actor’s passion and excitement while he talked and taught us about the work he did. I realized the phenomenon of Shakespeare is not overused or overrated in England, it is used to remember history and inspire works for the future.

Artifact 3-Tower of London

Shown above is me taking a picture with a Yeomen Warder at the entrance of the Tower of London. The tower was built in the beginning of the second century and has housed criminals, traitors, royals, and crown jewels. The Yeomen Warders (more often known as the Beefeaters) are guardians of the tower and the jewels in it today.

Pre-trip:

When I was eleven years old, I did a book report on the biography of Queen Elizabeth I. One of the most interesting facts I read was that she was held prisoner in the Tower of London. Each day in prison, Elizabeth would carve a mark into the wall with her diamond ring to count the days. It has always been a dream of mine to see these markings and the tower itself. From Dr. Christopher Otter’s History of London lecture, I learned that the tower was more of a royal prison that held traitors to the crown (who were in higher position of rank) captive than common criminals. From the pictures I’ve seen in textbooks, the prison appears to be a series of interconnecting towers and tunnels. I am curious to discover the last time the prison was actively used. I am also very excited to see the crown jewels that are held there and learn about their significance and legacy. I assume that the jewels are the most precious pieces of English history in the towers.

Post-trip:

Out of all of the places I visited in London, the Tower of London surprised me the most. Once I entered the gates, I immediately found that it hardly felt like a prison, it appeared to be more like a village of small castles. I loved exploring the the various passages that contained exhibits on the different functions of the tower (menagerie, torture chamber, prison, etc.) I did not see Queen Elizabeth I’s markings on the wall from her cell, but I did see dozens of other elites’ graffiti from their cells. The etchings in the wall were like signatures, the prisoners wanted to be remembered. I was fascinated at how neat and clear the markings were in the walls. I was also surprised to hear from our tour guide that although the Crown Jewels are very cherished by the British people, the royal armory might be the most valuable collection in the country. Diamonds, sapphires, and rubies are rare but can be found throughout the world. However, 15th century authentic knights armor can no longer be found or made. The collection held in the Tower is therefore more valuable. The soldiers diligently guarding the Tower also reminded me of American soldiers watching over the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Washington D.C.

Artifact 4-Her Majesty’s Theater

Shown above is me in front of Her Majesty’s Theater in Haymarket with the poster for The Phantom of the Opera after I saw the show. The theater was constructed in the late 19th century and has set stage to many performances including the notably recognized Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Pre-trip:

When I was twelve years old I attended my first professional theater performance in New York City on Broadway. I saw Wicked and have been completely captivated by theater since then. Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Phantom of the Opera soon became my favorite show of all time. I have seen the show performed at Playhouse Square in my hometown of Cleveland, Ohio, but it has always been a dream of mine to witness the show on the stage where it was first performed in 1986. Many of Broadway’s most popular shows have originated on London’s West End. I am curious to see the theater district of West End and its influence on the city. How important are theatrics to the city of London? Is West End the English equivalent to the United State’s Broadway? It is evident that some of the greatest theatrical triumphs have come from English soil. I want to see what more there is to London’s great theaters.

Post-Trip:

Every time I took the escalator down into the tube, no matter what station in the city, I was always surrounded by posters advertising various West End shows. At times I felt there were more theater advertisements than movie posters. The theater district of West End was more spread out than I originally thought it would be. People could walk on the cobblestone streets without cars in their way, restaurants were at ever corner, and the theaters lit up every avenue. I soon realized that I was submersed into another world entirely. Theater is not merely a money making machine for the city, it is central to London’s identity. Sunday night of the trip, after two hours of phone calls and several two minute windows to buy seats, my roommate and I somehow managed to secure two Phantom of the Opera tickets six rows back from the stage! On the night of our free day we arrived at Her Majesty’s Theater. I did not expect that experience to be so emotional for me. A childhood dream came true for me that night as I was witness to a performance far more beautiful and enchanting than I could have possibly imagined.

Artifact 5-Westminster Abbey

Shown above in the blue scarf on the right side of the entrance is me in front of Westminster Abbey in the City of Westminster. Westminster Abbey was founded in the 960’s and has been a place for royal marriages and coronations. Many famous and distinguished Brits are also buried there.

Pre-trip:

As the trip to London approaches and I review the itinerary, I find that I do not know very much about Westminster Abbey. Growing up, I learned that all of the royal and their betrothed are married in the cathedral. It is also the building in which the coronations take place. Visually from the outside, I always thought it resembled Notre Dame de Paris. Based on this observation, even though the cathedral is Protestant, I visualize the inside of the church to be similar to a Catholic church. I want to see the differences between Westminster and other cathedrals I’ve seen in the US. How much can they really differ? Westminster Abbey is one of the most recognizable symbols of British culture and history. I am very curious walk on the stones which have seen a plethora of momentous moments in British history. Who built/designed the Cathedral? Has it been altered since it was first built? I also imagine that the Cathedral is a massive hub for tourists. I want to see how the curators of the Church present it. Is it mainly a place of worship or tourist? Or perhaps both?

Post-trip:

A mixture of my presumptions about Westminster were either confirmed or altered. All of the royals have been crowed there in St. Edward’s chair at the abbey. Most of royal couples have been married there except Princess Diane and Prince Charles. When I approached the front steps of the Cathedral, I noticed something very different about the entrance from any other Church I have ever seen in the US. Situated just above the arch are nine nearly life size statues of extremely influential people from history that have been martyred: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Oscar Romero, Maximilian Kolbe, etc. I was surprised and inspired by these statues, because they were people of all religions. By listening to our tour guide, Victoria, I learned that construction started between in the early 11th century under Kind Edward the Confessor. Over the next several centuries parts were destroyed and restored. As I explored more of the Church, I found it so intriguing to see so tombs of iconic Brits such as Issac Newton, Queen Elizabeth I, and A.A. Milne, just to name a few. I found that the church honored man as much as it honored God. I was astonished at the great difficulty the curators of the church face as they allow thousands of tourists to visit each day, but still try to maintain the sanctity of the Church.

Artifact 6-Egyptian Paintings in the British Museum

Shown above is me taking a picture with Egyptian palace wall paintings in the British Museum located in the Bloomsbury area. The museum was built the mid 18th century and houses many precious artifacts from the modern and ancient world. One of the largest exhibits is the Ancient Egypt collection which houses many mummies, pots, jewelry, paintings, and hieroglyphics from the great empire.

Pre-trip:

In another life, I believe I would have been an archaeologist. My whole life I have always been fascinated by the ancient worlds of Egypt, Greece, and Rome. A constant diet of history books, biographies, encyclopedias, and published papers satisfied my voraciously curious appetite. I know that the British Museum is one of the world’s centers for artifacts. Many pictures of artifacts that I have seen in books have small captions beneath them citing the source of the piece’s home as the British Museum. This is one of the activities I am most excited about. I cannot wait to see the grand of home of history that I have read about so much. With so many precious pieces of human culture that are thousands of years old, security must be very high tech and tight, like it is here in the United States. How do British and American museums differ? I also want to know more about the origins of the building itself and the many antiquities housed there.

Post-trip:

The British Museum was without a doubt one of my favorite parts of the trip. Three hours was not sufficient enough time to explore the vast awesomeness of the museum. Every corner I turned, I found myself face to face with yet another priceless artifact that I had seen only in pictures: Rosetta Stone, bust of Ramesses II, colossal statue of the Winged Humanheaded Bull from Babylon, and so much more. It was very humbling for me to realize that I could reach out and touch displays quite easily. Of course the more delicate pieces (the mummies, Rosetta Stone, etc) were carefully enclosed in glass boxes. However, many artifacts were at the mercy of the public. There seemed to be an unspoken respect for these pieces, something I do not find here always in the US. The dozens of people crowding around an exhibit hardly ever dare disturb the old relics. American museum entry usually involves a substantial charge. It was inspiring to learn that this grand center for learning is always free and open to the public. I dearly hope that this tradition lives on at the museum to invite people from all around the word of all incomes to come in and share in the amazing experience I was so fortunate to have.

Artifact 7-The Skyline of London

Shown above is me taking a picture at the top of Saint Paul’s Cathedral at Ludgate Hill. The famous church was built in the early 18th century and is one of the most recognizable sights in London.

My week in London exceeded any exceptions I had or could have possibly imagined. It is a place unlike anything I have ever experienced before. Both the city and country effortlessly blend history and tradition with progress and innovation throughout all aspects of their culture. As one example, after I climbed over seventy flights of stairs to reach the top of Saint Paul’s Cathedral and gazed out at the breathtaking London skyline, I found something quite extraordinary. Even from the naked eye I could spot a building four centuries old standing a block or two away from a glass skyscraper. It was also heartwarming to discover that I was not merely another tourist scoffed at by the locals and pumped for money by the street vendors. The many sights London has to offer and the people who come to see them are a part of the city. People like me are welcomed and encouraged to soak in the city. With the unique London Honors class building up to the trip throughout the semester, it made the week all the more rewarding and worthwhile. It was a trip of a lifetime and an adventure I will cherish in my heart for the rest of my life.

Sources:

“History of London.” History.co.uk. History Channel, n.d. Web. 24 Jan. 2016.

“Shakespeare’s Life and times | Royal Shakespeare Company.” Shakespeare’s Life and times | Royal Shakespeare Company. Royal Shakespeare Company, n.d. Web. 24 Jan. 2016.

“Tower of London-Events Timeline.” Official Tower Of London Tickets, Events & History. Historic Royal Palaces, n.d. Web. 24 Jan. 2016.

One thought on “Artifacts

1. What a wonderful diary of your experience in London. This should serve as a beautiful account of your first trip abroad! Hopefully, the first of many.