Tree of Hope: IA Reflection

In my short time here at Ohio State, I have learned that extracurricular activities are just as important as academics. A majority of the time and memories are outside of the classroom while going to social events and volunteering. On September 25, 2018, students from International Affairs wrote and decorated letters for the children at Columbus Global Academy. We met with Jeremy from CRIS to participate in their Tree of Hope project in room 163 of Smith-Steeb. Before this experience, I did not know anything about this school. However, I learned that this school was founded for students that immigrated to the United States and are still deciphering the American schooling system. Jeremy from CRIS told us that there are about 90 languages and dialects being spoken at this school from 55 different countries. Our purpose for the letters and cards were to try to make the students feel more welcomed with words of encouragement and kindness. The cards are going to be posted on an inspiration board for the students and they can take a card off if they are having a bad day, have a big test, or just want some encouragement. Personally, I think that this is an amazing idea and act of kindness for these students. I was able to make 4 card with welcoming words and wishing them good luck for their upcoming school year. We have not learned about this in the seminar class, but it relates directly to the topic of immigration and the effects it has. This experience opened my eyes to the struggles and challenges that these students have to face every day in school and in life. Because they are away from their homeland, they are being immersed in an entirely new culture, way of life, and societal norms. From my own experience of traveling abroad, being in a new country can be extremely confusing and intimidating. However, I did not have to go to a new school, learn a new language, or learn a new way of living because I was only in another country for 1-2 weeks at a time.

After I complete any volunteer work I do, I always ask myself, “what did I gain from this?” Following this Tree of Hope project, I gained knowledge about this school and how many cultures/countries are represented there. Even though this was a small project, it can still have a tremendous impact on the students and their family. They may gain a sense of security and hope knowing that someone is thinking about them and wants them to succeed in whatever they do. If I was in their position, I was have peace of mind knowing that someone cares, even if we haven’t met. They can keep that card as a constant reminder that, even though being in a new place with new people may be difficult, they are loved and worthy. I will keep this little service experience in my heart and I will think about this in the future when a bright child is reading my card and smiles because of it.