Study Abroad in Pafos, Cyprus

As an International Studies and Geography double major, I have already had many opportunities to engage with the “Global Awareness” segment of the Honors & Scholars G.O.A.L.S. One notable opportunity is a study abroad trip to Pafos, Cyprus, that I just returned from! I spent the month of May abroad taking a course called Geography of the European Union with Professor Stavros Constantinou from the OSU Mansfield Geography Department. Unlike my trip to Peru last summer, which was more of a service-learning experience, in Cyprus, I took an actual class that I had to attend every day and complete homework for. However, as with any study abroad trip, most of my learning occurred outside the classroom on various day trips and just through the experience of living abroad.

An ancient mosaic depicting the story of Pyramus and Thisbe

One of our most notable outings included a visit with the foreign minister’s office, where we got to hear about some of Cyprus’ foreign policy goals, especially as Cyprus is a relatively new member of the European Union and faces foreign occupation by Turkey in the northern part of the country. I personally found this experience very interesting, since I am interested in foreign relations and could potentially end up in a similar career. As one of the less developed countries among some major economic powerhouses in the European Union, it was interesting to hear how Cyprus plans to leverage its strategic location and other tools to get EU help on some of their own issues. I also enjoyed all the ancient Greek ruins in Cyprus, which took me back to my days as a high school Classics nerd. The coolest ruins we saw were these very well preserved mosaics that depict various Greek myths on what had once been the floor of someone’s home. There are also multiple important mythological sites in Cyprus, including Aphrodite’s rock, where she is said to have been born, and Aphrodite’s baths, where she brought her many lovers including Adonis.

A barricade in Nicosia at the border with the occupied zone

Finally, our two day trip to Cyprus’ capital, Lefkosia (to Cypriots) or Nicosia (to the international community), was also very enlightening to me, as we had the chance to walk along the border of the UN green line that divides the southern part of Cyprus from the Turkish occupied area in the north. There were barbed wire and rubble piled up to block passage between the two sides, and I could see on the other side of the border that many of the buildings had fallen into disrepair. Additionally, we saw lots of leftist and anti-fascist graffiti near the line, including the phrase “No Borders, No Nations.” This graffiti, along with conversations we had with Cypriot residents, really resonated with me because it showed a more personal side of the occupation. For my class, I wrote a reflection on this topic which you can read if you are interested: UN Green Line Reflection

Though learning about the European Union doesn’t directly relate to my focus in Development Studies, I really enjoyed the opportunity to study a region of the world that I haven’t learned much about. Additionally, though I know that geography impacts my life all the time every day, it was really interesting to be in a place with such a long cultural history and complicated geopolitical relationship with the rest of the world. I also grew personally during this trip as I became more comfortable traveling by myself and adapting to daily life in a new environment. But, besides all the learning and personal development, let’s be real – I also got to immerse myself in a good amount of relaxation on the beach. Now that I’m back, I feel tan, recharged, and ready for my next adventure in Belize in a few weeks.

Our group at the Baths of Aphrodite