Mount Leadership Society Scholars D.C. Trip

Over spring break, I went to Washington D.C. as a part of my Mount Scholars annual D.C. trip. We visited The Capitol, CATO institute, various monuments, Ford’s Theatre and toured the Pentagon, Lockheed Martin, Arlington National Cemetery, and National War College. Along with getting to have dinner with alumni of our program, lunch with the some of the OSU Government Affairs staff, and meet Senators Rob Portman and Sherrod Brown.

I learned how fast paced the city is and there’s a certain vibe about the city which you can only understand by being there. There’s also a career in almost every area; you don’t have to have a job that is political to work in D.C. There’s many components and details that go into how everything manages to work. I found it fascinating just to take in all that D.C. has to offer.

On the last full day of our trip, we spent time with the congressional office of our personal districts. I had the amazing opportunity of shadowing Congresswoman Joyce Beatty of Ohio’s 3rd congressional district. I got to see a peak into her daily life including, going on The Capital lawn to interact with student protesters during the national walk out for gun violence, meet members of the Congressional Black Caucus, talk with members of her staff, and tour her office. I was also recruited to be a part of a video that her office is producing to show how influential Rosa Parks and her legacy has been. It was riveting to just travel with her and go through the hallways, elevators, and private subways reserved solely for members of Congress. Overall, I had an incredible experience and I can see myself possibly having a future in Washington.