Education Abroad Expo

The academic event I chose to attend was the Education Abroad Expo that took place on September 4th in the Ohio Union. As one could gather from the name of the event, the Education Abroad Expo is directly associated with International Affairs. This event helps inform students of special international opportunities that are only made available to Ohio State students. Personally, I have been abroad once during my time at Ohio State. I visited the Czech Republic over Spring Break through International Affairs Scholar program and absolutely loved my time there. However, I am interested in finding a global internship that will last longer than nine days. The Education Abroad Expo helped me to search for different types of programs available to students.

While there were around 100 different programs being showcased, the ones that had me most interested were being offered by the Fisher College of Business. As a business –finance– major, it made the most sense to look more for a business related international experience and not ones offered by different colleges within Ohio State. Fisher College of Business offers six different study abroad experiences. The six different programs offered are: Global Labs, Global Projects, Global Internships, Ohio Export Internship Program, Student Exchange, and Go Business. Of the six aforementioned programs, the one that caught my attention the most was the Global Internships.

The Fisher Global Internship program is an 8-week program that places students in meaningful, unfortunately unpaid, internships with a goal to help increase or begin an international network as well as help enhance global awareness to give an advantage in futures places of work. This program offers seven different locations, Australia (Sydney), England (London), Hong Kong, Ireland (Dublin), Portugal (Lisbon), Singapore, and Spain (Madrid). The locations that interest me the most are Australia, Hong Kong, and Portugal. I have already heard from fellow students how amazing both the Hong Kong and Portugal internships can be, which in a way makes me want to do something new and go to Australia, seeing as no one I know has done that specific place before. It would also make working a bit easier as well since there would be no language barrier that may be present in other countries.

The Fisher Global Internship program would aid my future in a multitude of ways. One of the biggest ways it would help me out is by highlighting what I am good at and what I need to improve. It will also force me to be much more self-reliant and for one of the first times in my life actually use what I have learned in school and apply it to real life situations. A third way this experience would benefit me is by increasing my global experiences. One of my goals in life is to work for a multinational corporation, and by partaking in a global internship like this would only help me to set myself up for a business that works across many nations. One little fun goal that I would like to get out of my time of an adventure like this is to meet locals and actually keep contact with them after leaving the country to increase my global network alongside making new friends.