Capstone Conclusion

Throughout the course of my capstone project, I learned a great deal about time management, self-learning, and adaptability. I started my capstone project in August 2019 and had through March 2020 to finish it. I quickly realized that trying to work on my capstone project while taking a full course load and working part-time was challenging. I resulted to working on my project mainly on weekends or over breaks. Towards the end of my project, there were a couple features, like the calendar tab, that I settled for simpler solutions than what I originally planned simply because I didn’t have enough time left. Looking back, I wish I would have done more general setup and basic XCode learning over the summer of 2019 so that working throughout the school-year wasn’t as challenging and time-consuming. Aside from time management lessons, I also learned a lot about self-learning. I had never used XCode before this project, and I had no idea how to even start building an app. I relied heavily on Google and YouTube tutorials, but since XCode is frequently updated, the information I was getting online wasn’t always the most up to date. Although the online information was a very valuable place to start, I had to rely on my own troubleshooting abilities to actually make my app perform as I wanted it to. This helped me realize that self-learning isn’t just about learning new skills, it’s also about utilizing old skills to perform new tasks. This idea also helped me improve my adaptability. There were several occasions when my app wasn’t working properly or giving error messages that I wasn’t sure how to fix. In some situations, if the errors were severe enough or the solution was far more complicated than feasible, I had to adjust my approach. The adjustments I made typically simplified the issue I was trying to solve and provided me with an easier way to solve the same problem.

Overall, I truly enjoyed working on my capstone project and I am happy with how it turned out. I was able to achieve all of the functionality that I originally planned for, like displaying a list of requirements based on a scholar’s year, allowing scholars to log their events, showing upcoming events in a calendar, and having an “about me” section customized to each user. A complete walk-through of the app’s functionality can be seen by watching this video. Due to unknown issues when transferring the app to an actual mobile device, such as occasionally not being able to download the app and formatting flaws that don’t appear on the simulated output on XCode, I will not be able to make my app available on the app store yet. I hope to figure out these issues in the near future by talking with people more experienced with XCode and conducting more online research. Despite not being able to put my app on the app store yet, I still built a functioning prototype that I never thought I could have done a few months ago. I am proud of my accomplishment and I hope that this project can inspire other scholars to be more willing to expand their skills by trying something completely new.