Semester Review: Fall 2018

During my first semester of college, I have learned many new things both in and outside of the classroom. However, the most valuable thing I have learned this semester is how to deal with failure. Since starting college, I have been challenged in new and unexpected ways; I am enrolled in difficult courses, I am away from my friends and family for the first time, and I am still trying to figure out what being an adult truly entails.

During high school, I completed several Advanced Placement and College Credit Plus courses, but none of those classes compare to the courses I am enrolled in now. Adjusting to the pace of college courses has been harder for me than I anticipated. I have to put a lot more time into studying outside of classes than I did before, and I also have to learn how to fit taking care of myself into my study schedule. These adjustments, which I am still learning how to make, have affected how well I have been able to perform on exams. With poor performance on my exams, I have earned grades that I am not particularly proud of.

Although I wish I could be doing better in a few of my classes, I am thankful for the lesson I have learned throughout this semester: no one can be perfect at everything. I may be having a difficult time in some of my classes, such as physics, but I am still excelling in other classes. Two of my classes, Introduction to Java and Introduction to Engineering, involve programming. My ability to learn programming concepts and syntax quickly has allowed me to excel in these classes.

Not performing as well as I would like in some of my classes has helped me understand that adversity is inevitable in some situations. However, how I react to this adversity is entirely up to me. I have chosen to learn from my mistakes rather than to dwell on them. I have developed new study habits, attended more office hours, and improved my ability to adapt to new situations. These new skills will not only help me perform better in future semesters, but they will also help me adjust more quickly to different teaching styles that I encounter. Hopefully, with these skills and the skills I learn in upcoming semesters, the transition to college and adulthood will be more manageable.