Technical and system questions

Japanese button
What are the system requirements for these courses?
What are the system requirements for the 1-on-1 interviews (video conferences) with instructors?
Why is my 1-on-1 classroom not loading?
What if my audio isn’t working in the 1-on-1 classroom?
Why am I not able to launch my lessons?
How do I report a problem?
Can I do my lessons on a mobile device?

1. INTERNET SPEED: A hard-wired, high-speed internet connection (56 mbps minimum)

2. BROWSER:

• a. Internet Explorer 11+
    • b. Chrome (latest 2 versions)
    • c. Firefox (latest 2 versions)
    • d. Safari (iOS6-)

3. Try to complete each self-study in 30 minutes or less in order to avoid time out issues.

4. Complete the lessons on a desktop or laptop computer. Completing the lessons on mobile devices may result in inaccurate results. If you see that your results are not displayed correctly, contact AutomotiveEnglish@osu.edu immediately.

Back to top

1. FLASHPLAYER: Version 13+

2. All OSU interviews are conducted using Adobe Connect. Please have a computer with internet connection ready during the phone interview.

3. For the best experience, all learners should use a desktop or laptop computer with a wired internet connection and a headset or earbuds.

4. A wireless connection may not be strong or stable enough to provide an ideal experience. Relying on the speakers and mic built into a computer can result in poor sound quality for everyone in the session.

5. While users can download apps that will allow them to participate in Connect sessions from most mobile devices (iPads and other tablets as well as smartphones), some Connect features may not work on these devices.

Back to top

Why is my 1-on-1 classroom not loading?

Plan on logging into your Carmen Connect classroom about 5 minutes before your appointment. This will give you extra time just in case you run into any trouble logging in and to test your audio.

If your page seems to be “stuck” loading, like in the images below, close your browser and then try to reconnect. If this reloading the page doesn’t work, you may need to check your connection speed or get support from technical support.

If you are experiencing lag time when you are in the classroom, check your Connection Status by clicking the colored vertical bar to the right of the Help button, in the top right corner of the meeting room.

If Connection Status is not Excellent, you may need to connect through a different network. For example, a wireless network may cause problems if you do not have a good connection speed.

Back to top

• Enter your Meeting Room.
          • Select Meeting from main navigation menu.
          • Choose Audio Setup Wizard from the drop-down list.
          • The Setup Wizard automatically guides each user through a series of steps that test and configure the audio features and options in CarmenConnect.
          • If you are using a USB headset and/or mic (both strongly recommended), you may need to identify these accessories at the appropriate point in the wizard.

Back to top

Why am I not able to launch my lessons?

Lessons launch into a new window, therefore you may have pop-ups blocked in your internet browser. If pop-ups are blocked, it may appear that the content is “stuck” while loading. Go to our Disable Pop-Up Blocker resource for more assistance.

Back to top

How do I report a problem?

1. If you experience a problem with the lessons, contact AutomotiveEnglish@osu.edu.

2. For more immediate assistance, call 614-292-5745 Monday-Friday 9am-2pm for Japanese or English Language Support.

Back to top

Can I do my lessons on a mobile device?

At this time, BuckeyeLearn lessons will not work on a mobile device. Please do all lessons on a computer. Our blogs and podcasts are mobile-friendly, so check them out while you are on-the-go! Ohio State is working to make the BuckeyeLearn lessons compatible with mobile devices in the future.

Back to top