Learning questions

Japanese button
What is the TraVerse Academic Year?
Why are the lesson drop down menus not working in Google Chrome?
After I’m registered, how do I access BuckeyeLearn and my courses?
How am I assigned to a level?
I completed lessons before 94Ki. How do I see the work that I completed previous to 94Ki?
How long does it take to complete one level?
How do I open my level?
What is an “Intake Interview”?
How do I make an appointment for an interview with my instructor?
Will I always meet with the same instructor?
How do I see feedback from my instructor after a 1-on-1?
How many times in total will I meet with my instructor?
How many appointments can I make a day?
Late and Cancellation Policy for interviews
How do I enter the 1-on-1 classroom with my instructor?
What are the “Work,” “Life,” and “TOEIC” sections?
How do I review lessons?
What are the blogs and podcasts?
How do I see my progress?
What are badges? How do I get them?
How do I move up to the next level?

What is the TraVerse Academic Year?

TraVerse is a self-paced program, which means that participants may complete lesson activities and one-on-one meetings with their instructor when it is convenient for them. However, there times throughout the year when either parts or all of TraVerse services will be unavailable to participants. The following dates and services are subject to change.

Back to top

Some of our online lesson features do not operate well if you are using Chrome as your web browser. The known issues are:

1. The Ohio State Logo does not appear consistently on the lesson player
      2. Drop down matching questions have pre-selected answers (see example below)
      3. Drop down matching questions won’t allow selection
      4. Drag and drop answers don’t align well with their destination (see example below)

These problems do not appear to happen in Internet Explorer or Firefox, so we recommend these browsers for the best experience. The company that creates the lesson software is aware of the issue, but there is currently no timeline for fixing it.

Back to top

1. You can access and view your progress and completed training from your transcript.
        2. Go to the BuckeyeLearn login page.

• Note: your username/login is your company email address
        • To reset your password, go to the Forgot Password page and type in your company email address

3. Hover your mouse over “Contents” and select “My Courses” (Transcript)

• Locate your Level curriculum (read the next section for information about accessing your level curriculum)

Back to top

How am I assigned to a level?

1. Learners are placed into a level based on their TOEIC score (click to enlarge).

2. If you believe you have been placed into the wrong level, please contact AutomotiveEnglish@osu.edu.

3. There are two ways to see your level after you log into BuckeyeLearn.

• Click on My Courses (Transcript) under the Contents tab in the navigation bar.
          • Go to the My Courses (Transcript) on the welcome page. Your level will appear here.

Back to top

I completed lessons before 94Ki. How do I see the work that I completed prior to 94Ki?

1. All lessons completed prior to 94Ki will be marked complete in BuckeyeLearn. To see these items, go to “My Courses” (Transcript) under the “Contents” tab in the navigation bar (click to enlarge).

2. Use the drop down arrow next to Active. Select Completed.

Back to top

This program is self-paced, but learners are encouraged to complete one level in one year.

Back to top

How do I open my level?

1. From your Transcript, click Open Curriculum.

2. You will see the curriculum sections on the left and below

Back to top

What is an “Intake Interview”?

1. Before completing other sections, you’ll need to complete the intake interview. The intake interview is a real-time, one-on-one meeting with your instructor using video conference technology.

• Purpose: The main purpose is to introduce you to the program, provide program guidance, and to talk about your English language needs and goals.
                  • Duration: 30 Minutes
                  • Format: ALL OSU interviews are conducted using Adobe Connect. See the system requirements section to prepare for a smooth intake interview.

2. To complete your intake interview:

• Click on the Intake Interview section. See the next section for how to make an appointment for your interview.

Back to top

1. These interviews are spread throughout your lessons, and can be identified by an icon that looks like a yellow folder. You will also see [1-on-1] in the lesson title. When you see this icon, you can make an appointment with your instructor.

2. Find the icon for a 1-on-1 lesson. Click Activate.

3. Click on the Notify Observer drop-down and select Launch. (Note: if the online course does not launch, you may need to disable your pop-up blocker).

4. The You Can Book Me page will open in a new window. Follow the instructions to schedule your one-on-one with your instructor.

5. Once you’ve completed your one-on-one and your instructor marks you complete, you’ll be able to move on to the next section of the training.

Back to top

Part of the TraVerse English language training model is to provide consistent, individualized instruction with one instructor for a whole level. However, there are circumstances (e.g. instructor illness, vacations, etc.) where a learner may have a substitute instructor for a limited time. All of our instructors are equally qualified and familiar with the lesson content, so learners will never feel a disruption with their studies. TraVerse will communicate via email with learners who may be affected by an instructor substitution.

Back to top

How do I see feedback from my instructor after a one-on-one?

Your instructor will provide feedback from your intake interview and 1-on-1s. You can view your instructor’s feedback from your BuckeyeLearn Transcript:

• To see instructor feedback, click on the Launch drop-down and select View Training Details.

• Next to Observation History, click View to see feedback.

Back to top

You will meet with your instructor for 20 1-on-1 interviews*

• 1 Intake Interview (20-30 min) – Learn about the program and your instructor and talk about your English language needs and goals.
                          • 9 Speaking Practice Interviews (30 min) – Review the vocabulary, grammar, and expressions of the self-study lessons through speaking with your instructor.
                          • 9 TOEIC Practice Interviews (30 min) – Learn tips and strategies for each part of the Listening and Reading TOEIC test. Practice TOEIC-like questions with your instructor.
                          • 1 Level Assessment Review Interview (30 min) – Review all of the content from your level with your instructor in preparation for your final level assessment.

*Level 1 learners will only have 11 interviews.

Back to top

How many appointments can I make a day?

1. The maximum number of interview appointments with your instructor in one day is 2.

2. Make sure you are completing the self-study and quiz lessons that accompany each interview so that you and your instructor can make the most out of your time together.

Back to top

1. If you are going to be more than 5 minutes late to an appointment, your appointment will be automatically canceled. Appointments are often scheduled back to back, so delaying the start and end time of an appointment can disrupt the next scheduled appointment.

2. If you know you are going to be late, please email your instructor to reschedule.

3. If you know in advance that you need to cancel your appointment, please use the link in your YouCanBook.Me confirmation email to cancel and/or reschedule. If you can’t find the link, please contact your instructor immediately.

Back to top

1. You will receive a confirmation email from You Can Book Me with instructions on how to enter the Carmen Connect (virtual) classroom. From this email, you can also cancel or reschedule your one-on-one.

2. On the Carmen Connect login page, please use the Guest Login instead of the OSU Login. Just type in your name and then click the “Enter Room” button.

Back to top

What are the “Work,” “Life” and “TOEIC” sections?

1. OSU’s English Program offers 5 levels designed to help learners achieve 3 goals:

• Effective Workplace Communication
                                  • Increased Quality of Life
                                  • Increased TOEIC Scores

2. After the intake interview is complete, the units for Work English, Life English, and TOEIC will be released. Choose the area you would like to focus on first.

• WORK ENGLISH: Work English lessons cover communication tasks that occur frequently on the job, such as: meetings, presentations, and trouble-shooting.
                                  • LIFE ENGLISH: Life English lessons explore communication situations outside of the workplace. This includes everything from shopping and eating out to talking with your child’s teacher.
                                  • TOEIC: OSU’s original TOEIC lessons cover all parts of the Listening and Reading TOEIC test. Learn about test format, tips, and strategies for tackling the test.

3. You can start in any section or unit, but we recommend going in the order that they appear.

• Select a lesson and click Activate.

• Click Launch.

• Continue to activate and launch your lessons.

4. When you finish a quiz, click on the Evaluate button and follow instructions to provide feedback about the unit.

• Click Continue.

• Once you have completed the evaluation, your lesson will show as completed.

Back to top

How do I review lessons?

To complete a lesson you must pass it with at least 80% accuracy. You will see this results screen on your lesson when you pass. When you close the lesson, you will be able to move on to the next lesson item in the unit.

If at any time, you would like to go back and review the lessons that you have completed, you can go back to the item and click the “Launch” button. The lesson will open up to the results slide or wherever you left off.

To navigate through the lesson again for review, use the menu on the left. Click on the “Objectives” to start at the beginning of the lesson and then use the navigation buttons at the bottom to revisit all parts of the lesson. Your answers from the first time you completed the lesson will still be noted on the lesson. You will not be able to change your answers or change your score in anyway.

Back to top

What are the blogs and podcasts?

1. BLOGS: Mobile-friendly blogs are released once a week that take a look at North American holidays and culture as well as English expressions and language tips. Instructors put their personal twist on each topic, sharing their own personal experiences.

2. PODCASTS: Podcasts allow learners to listen to target language while away from their computer, commuting to and from work, or away on business. Learners can choose from workplace and life-themed units.

Back to top

How do I see my progress?

1. LEVEL PROGRESS: The progress wheel on the left-side of your learning page shows what percentage of the curricula you have completed. It will only move when lessons are passed successfully.

2. UNIT PROGRESS: The progress bars at the top of each unit show what percentage of the unit you have completed. It will only move when the lessons are passed successfully. Each lesson that was completed successfully will also receive a checkmark.

Back to top

What are badges? How do I get them?

1. A badge is an indicator of accomplishment or skill. Learners can earn badges for the reasons shown below.

• Successful completion of the intake interview
                                          • Successful completion of a 1-on-1 speaking practice
                                          • Successful completion of a 1-on-1 TOEIC lesson

2. How do I view the badges I’ve earned?

• Hover over Home and select Profile.

• On the left-hand side, click Snapshot.

• Click on the Badges icon to see the badges earned.

• See the badges you’ve earned.

Back to top

How do I move up to the next level?

1. To advance to the next level, learners must complete lessons for all three areas: Work, Life, and TOEIC.

2. If learners achieve the TOEIC score for the next level but haven’t completed the TOEIC lessons, they will have the option of skipping the incomplete lessons. See the How am I assigned to a level? section for information about the TOEIC score requirements for each level.

3. If learners have completed all of the lessons materials in BuckeyeLearn, including Level Assessments, they will automatically be moved up to the next level regardless of their TOEIC score. See the How am I assigned to a level? Section for information about the TOEIC score requirements for each level.

Back to top