From the Ohio Department of Health:
As of 10/01/2020, mosquito collection data has been shared by local partners in Ashland, Athens, Carroll, Clark, Clermont, Crawford, Cuyahoga, Fairfield, Franklin, Gallia, Greene, Hamilton, Hancock, Hocking, Lake, Licking, Lorain, Lucas, Mahoning, Medina, Meigs, Miami, Montgomery, Muskingum, Perry, Pickaway, Portage, Richland, Ross, Scioto, Shelby, Stark, Summit, Tuscarawas, Union, Vinton and Wood counties. The following are results of pooled mosquito samples tested for West Nile virus (WNV):
- Clark County: 13,495 total mosquitoes tested; 22 positive samples
- Cuyahoga County: 1,057 total mosquitoes tested; 2 positive samples
- Fairfield County: 1,686 total mosquitoes tested; 1 positive sample
- Franklin County (including Columbus City): 125,728 total mosquitoes tested; 531 positive samples
- Hamilton County (including Cincinnati City): 1,643 total mosquitoes tested; 1 positive sample
- Lake County: 4,642 total mosquitoes tested; 12 positive samples
- Lucas County: 6,320 total mosquitoes tested; 66 positive samples
- Portage County (including Kent City): 13,019 total mosquitoes tested; 2 positive samples
- Richland County (including Shelby City): 16,592 total mosquitoes tested; 4 positive samples
- Summit County: 2,311 total mosquitoes tested; 2 positive samples
- Union County: 4,233 total mosquitoes tested; 2 positive samples
This brings the total number of WNV positive mosquito samples in Ohio to 645.
As of 10/05/2020, the Ohio Department of Health reported 2 human cases of WNV. Cases include 2 males between the ages of 41 -62 years (median: 52 years) reported from Franklin (1) and Montgomery (1) counties with onset of symptoms between 08/25/2020 – 09/11/2020. There are several additional suspect cases under investigation.
The Ohio Department of Health also reported 21 cases of La Crosse virus. Cases include 14 males and 7 females between the ages of 3 -15 years (median: 6 years) reported from Carroll (1), Coshocton (2), Delaware (2), Fairfield (1), Harrison (1), Hocking (1), Holmes (3), Marion (1), Perry (1), Pickaway (1), Summit (1), Trumbull (1), Warren (1), Washington (2) and Wayne (2) counties with onset of symptoms between 07/02/2020 – 08/21/2020. There are several additional suspect cases under investigation.
More details are at: www.odh.ohio.gov/vectorupdate.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Zoonotic Disease Program (614-752-1029, option 1) if you have any questions.