Event 8: Lunar New Year Lantern Making (Social)

On January 23rd, several members of Ia and myself headed down to the Smith basement to engage in some light-hearted lantern making. This wasn’t a particularly traditional or culturally oriented take on lantern making but it was a fun night of simple arts and crafts. I wasn’t on a mission to make an artistic statement here so I just chatted while following instructions and I had a chill time. My favorites colors are orange and purple in that order  so yes, I made a heinous orange and purple lantern but I love it. It definitely looks like a 6 year old made it. I believe this event plays more into the community aspect of IA where a bunch of us got to meet up and create something. I’m of the opinion that college students tend to take themselves too seriously and therefore try to make many things into serious issues that really aren’t. This event wasn’t serious but there is something to be learned being able to make connections while doing something just for fun. It doesn’t take an enlightening experience, a great act of service, or a deep conversation to find a similar wavelength you can ride with other people. Sometimes all it takes is some construction paper, Elmer’s glue, scissors, strings, and a good mood.