Event 2: IA Alumni Presentation (Academic)

On September 11th I attended the IA Alumni Presentation about a Jacob Caproni’s research in Rwanda. The topic of his research was the after effects of the Rwandan Genocide. The presentation was conducted in the Glass Classroom in the Smith Lobby and there were about 30 people in attendance from my best estimate. Jacob began the session explaining who he is, his major, and why he went to Rwanda for research. Then he gave a brief history of Rwanda going all the way back to precolonial times. When he asked the room if anyone knew about the Treaty of Versailles and how it pertained to Rwanda and its genocide. My hand shot up and I knew this was the moment I’d make my sophomore year AP Euro teacher proud. After I answered the question Jacob joked, “hey you wanna come up here and teach the rest too,” in a humorous manner. Lastly he went explained how he got into the program and how other students could get research opportunities like that. One of my highest rank goals for college is to study abroad and due research abroad. I ate this information up and I’m always looking for opportunities to get overseas. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll be in Rwanda myself or some other new horizon.