G.O.A.L.S.

The STEM EE Scholars program has been a huge part of my freshman year. Underlining all of the requirements and activities with the program are The Ohio State University Honors & Scholars G.O.A.L.S.: Global Awareness, Original Inquiry, Academic Enrichment, Leadership Development, and Service Engagement. While all facets of G.O.A.L.S. are important, I believe that the two most relevant to me and applicable to my future professional goals are Academic Enrichment and Leadership Development.

Like most Honors & Scholars students, I challenged myself all throughout high school with honors and AP classes. I always wanted to take the hardest classes and pack as much knowledge as I could into my brain. When I joined the actuarial science club here at Ohio State, even as a freshman with a very small chance at getting an internship, I still went to the actuarial receptions and company presentations to learn as much as I could about my future profession and possible employers. As an actuary, that thirst for knowledge is imperative because of all the actuarial exams that you need to take. Even after I am an FSA (Fellow of the Society of Actuaries), I will always be looking for new ways to approach and solve problems.

Beyond pushing my education to the limit, I want to learn skills that will help me succeed in the professional world. One of the most important of those skills is leadership. In high school, I was a captain on the varsity soccer and swim teams. I was also part of the group that helps at our high school freshman orientation. In my first semester at Ohio State, I have become involved with the actuarial science club, men’s water polo club, and WOW. In the actuarial science and water polo clubs, I am only a member because I am a freshman, but I definitely plan on holding leadership positions as I get older. Being a part of WOW, where I do science experiments with young children, has taught me patience and the skill of being able to simplify and explain concepts that others may not understand. I believe that being able to lead is a very important skill in the professional world and I look forward to finding a job that will allow me to showcase my skills and give me opportunities for promotions.