Wonders Of Our World

As a first year STEM EE Scholar, I was given the opportunity to help with the spectacular program, WOW (Wonders of Our World). I was very excited to be working with young children because this last summer I was a swim team coach and in charge of the 8 & Under age group. It was a lot of work, but I had the time of my life and loved all of their crazy personalities and learning the leadership skills and patience required when working with young kids. With WOW, every week I go with a few other Ohio State students to Columbus elementary schools to do science experiments and demonstrations with the students. The goal of the program is to travel to these schools that don’t have as many resources and to show the kids that science is fun and exciting.

I am have been helping with WOW for about a month now and I already love it. So far, I have worked with 2nd, 3rd, and 5th graders, all of which require a lot of patience because they are all so eager to do the experiment and ask questions. Working with the kids and hearing their ideas is really fun and some of the things they have to say is really funny. In these weeks I have noticed that the imaginations of these young students are very much alive and I believe that is a major component in being successful in whatever you do. The excitement on the kids’ faces when they finally get their clay boat to float or when they guess what is in the mystery box is very rewarding. The leadership skills and patience that I have learned with WOW are both very important things to have in not only school and the business world, but also everywhere you go.