Year in Review

My first year in college has come to an unconventional end. When I started school last fall, I was beyond excited for all the experiences I was about to have over the course of the year, never did I imagine it ending like this. Being on campus the first week was a strange feeling, I had no sense of where anything was at, but by the end of the year I could walk around with my eyes closed. A lot can happen in just a year and this was one defiantly that proved that.

There was a lot of adjustment initially from High School classes to the level of college courses. In the beginning of the year I was very intimidated by the idea of not really knowing what to expect when going into a classroom. As time went on, I developed new study habits and found a lot of ways to interact with my professors that made me feel a lot more comfortable being in classes. I am happy with the grades I was able to get this year with the amount of change that I went through. More recently, as a student I adjusted to online learning which was not something I was prepared for. The change came suddenly, I had thought I had two months left before I had to say goodbye to my friends and to life on campus. Doing classes from home was a major adjustment, especially because everyone in my house was also working from home and we all had different schedules. It made me miss the large lecture halls we take exams in because the environment here was much different. I hope we are able to find ourselves on campus again in the fall.

One of the goals I wanted to accomplish over this year was getting involved. At the involvement fair I realized really that it was hard to not be involved with something. Being a part of the Wonders of Our World group really made a difference for me this year. I was able to be out in the community interacting with kids and doing fun experiments with them, each one is really a priceless experience. Along with this on campus I was involved with CHAARG, in this group I found a great way to relieve stress and meet new people from all different majors. One thing I did not expect at the beginning of the year was that I would be a part of the Leadership Committee for the STEM EE Scholars program. I am so glad that I applied for a position because it really helps me connect with my peers in the program. I was very nervous back in August because I truly didn’t know what to expect. Now about eight months later I am so much more confident in myself and my abilities. I am so thankful for all the wonderful experiences I was able to have this year and can’t wait to be back on campus and make more memories.