Hello! My name is Grace Benecke and I am a first year here at Ohio State. I am from Perrysburg, Ohio which is really close to Toledo. I plan on studying biology and am currently on a pre-medicine path. Science has always been my favorite and along with that I love being able to help others, so a medical path seemed the most natural to me. This year I hope to gain more shadowing experience to find a certain area I’d like to study. Right now, I would love to specialize in some area of pediatrics.

The activities I was involved with in high school have helped shaped me into the person I am today. I was fortunate enough to be among the starting members of a freshman mentorship program we started within our school. The experience made me realize how much I liked helping people and further developed my leadership skills. Along with this my student council experience, also helped me develop my leadership skills and a fantastic sense of community within my school. On campus already I am involved with the STEM Engagement and Exploration Scholars Program. I plan on joining a couple clubs here that will further connect me with my community and also allow me to help people.

In my free time you can find me out around campus hammocking, running or working out. I love to stay active and enjoy the weather (while it’s nice). In the winter months when it’s not so nice you can find me with my nose in a book or bingeing on the latest Netflix series. Columbus is full of things to do and I definitely don’t want to waste that opportunity. Exploring new places around the city is one of my favorite things to do since I have been here!

This year I am excited to get more involved with the scholars program as well around campus. I hope to connect with some clubs that have even more of an impact on me than the ones I was involved with in high school. Within this year I would love to start volunteering at The Wexner Medical Center as it could provide me with many eye opening opportunities in my field of interest.