Month of Action Plan

LIST OF ACTIONS:

1. Write a letter to my Senators about what can be done about food insecurity in Columbus (active)
  2. Volunteer for a local organization (passive)
  3. Reach out to local organization to speak in Scholars class (active)
  4. Compare data form Columbus area concerning food insecurity and other disparities based on the neighborhood one lives in (passive)
  5. Visit a farmers market and buy some produce, supporting the local food movement (passive)
  6. Look into the issue of redlining more heavily and ask questions to figure out why disparities in food access exist (immersive)
  7. Work at a community garden (passive)
  8. Serve at a food pantry on campus! (OSU Food Fellowship) (passive)
  9. Read research papers and watch documentaries on food insecurity to help better understand the root causes (passive)
  10. Promote awareness to family and friends by using social media as a platform (active)

*italicized and underlined actions are addressing the root cause of my issue 

The five actions I will be selecting to complete during my month of action is:

• Write a letter to my Senators about what can be done about food insecurity in Columbus (active)
  • Reach out to local organization to speak in Scholars class (active)
  • Visit a farmers market and buy some produce, supporting the local food movement (passive)
  • Promote awareness to family and friends by using social media as a platform (active)
  • Serve at a food pantry on campus! (OSU Food Fellowship) (passive)

Some of the challenges I might face in this month of action is actually visiting a farmers market (finding the time and a means of getting there) could be tricky. I think also managing my time and not waiting until the last week or couple of days to fit all of my actions in. I also think that I might have really wanted to do action #6, but I’m not sure how deep I could go into that without going too far and getting carried away. I think some of my findings could get carried away into other issues, so just focusing on food insecurity and injustice could be hard to stay on.

I hope that I learn the ways that I can really make an impact on this issue, as well as my friends and family can make changes to help out too. I want to really try to understand why this grocery gap exists, and what kinds of policies or changes on the community level are going to be necessary to make a real difference.

References: 

https://www.bestfoodforward.org

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr5017