Buckeye East Asian Linguistics (BEAL)
Welcome to the Buckeye East Asian Linguistics (BEAL) website at The Ohio State University!
- BEAL Forum, a biennial event that was inaugurated in Autumn 2014 with BEAL Forum 1, and
- BEAL Publications, our occasional e-publications, with BEAL 1, the inaugural issue, launched in 2015.
Buckeye East Asian Linguistics (BEAL) was formally created on 6 May 2014 by DEALL faculty members, Professors Mineharu Nakayama, Marjorie Chan and Zhiguo Xie, with initial plans at that meeting to host the first BEAL Forum in October. As planned, BEAL Forum 1 took place that year on 24 October 2014.
BEAL Forum is a biennial event that receives support from Ohio State faculty and graduate students. It aims centrally to showcase research activities in East Asian linguistics in the Buckeye state, with welcoming contributions from those at institutions in neighboring states and beyond. Unless stated otherwise, all events below are hosted at The Ohio State University.
- BEAL Forum 5 (2022) took place via Zoom on 28 October 2022.
- BEAL Forum 4 (2021) took place via Zoom on 5 March 2021.
- BEAL Forum 3 (2018) took place on 22 October 2018.
- BEAL Forum 2 (2016) took place on 21 October 2016.
- BEAL Forum 1 (2014) took place on 24 October 2014.
Buckeye East Asian Linguistics (ISSN 2378-9387) is an Open Access online publication launched in 2015. It is dedicated to the empirical study of languages spoken in East Asian countries/regions, including cross-linguistic research that draws on East Asian languages. It is edited by the faculty members and graduate students in the East Asian linguistics community at The Ohio State University, and published by The Ohio State University Libraries. It aims to help disseminate the most updated research of East Asian linguistics to the global scholarly community so as to encourage and foster the widest communication and collaboration among scholars interested in East Asian linguistics.
- BEAL 5 is a compilation of papers based on presentations at BEAL Forum 4 in March 2021, delayed from October 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic
- BEAL 4 is a compilation of papers based on presentations at BEAL Forum 3 in October 2018.
- BEAL 3 is a compilation of papers based on presentations at BEAL Forum 2 in October 2016.
- BEAL 2 is a Festschrift in honor of recently-retired Professor James Marshall Unger.
- BEAL 1 was published in 2015 as the inaugural issue of the BEAL publication series. It is a compilation of papers based on presentations at BEAL Forum 1 in October 2014.