Democratic Debate (Campus) – 10/15/19

On Tuesday, October 15th, the fourth Democratic presidential debate was housed at Otterbein. My roommate and I decided it would be essential to watch the debate live to learn more about the people running for our country. I watched the whole debate all the way through and I was informed about many ideas the candidates have about different policies. Personally, ever since I have been at college, I have fallen behind about worldwide news and the 2020 presidential election. Watching the debate was able to give me a good idea about what has been going on and who the front runners are for the democratic party.

It seemed throughout the debate, the other candidates were trying to make Elizabeth Warren look like a fool. She was trying to describe her plan for Medicare and she used the words “Medicare for all.” The other candidates criticized her saying that she was giving no specifics about the plan. Vice President Biden was questioned about his son working on the Board in Ukraine and he stated that they had never talked about their work to each other which contradicted past statements. They all say that they have one thing in common, and that is getting Trump out of office as soon as possible. Many stated that he is the most corrupt president to have been in office, and everyone agreed.

I thought that it was essential that the debate ended by including how each candidate has had relationships with Republicans and how their differences were their strengths. Ellen sat by former President George Bush at the Dallas Cowboys football game and someone captured a photo of them laughing together and it blew up on social media. She addressed it on her show, saying that she has many conservative friends and there is nothing wrong with that. The candidates each had a chance to describe a time that they have had a friend who had opposite political views and how it has made them stronger as a person. It is important to have friends with different opinions so it makes everyone a more rounded person and sees the strengths in differences. Many of the candidates brought up John McCain, which may or may not have made me tear up. It was a surprise that this concept would be brought up in a political debate but I am glad that the American people were inspired to have a variety of relationships regardless of political views.