Goals Statement

Global Awareness

Satisfying my Global Awareness Goal, I believe, will come the most natural to me. I am an International Studies major, and I plan on spending time abroad in many different ways, through volunteering, interning, or earning class credit. I feel that being immersed in a different culture will allow me to see the tangible and most striking differences that is has to offer. Along with going abroad, many of the class that I plan on taking will help me gain the practical and analytical skills needed to broaden my global awareness. Although I have just made it through my first month of school, I am working towards my global awareness goal, as I am a member of the Collegian Council on World Affairs, and I am working towards my German minor. I am very excited for the future classes I will take for my major as well.

Original Inquiry

I plan to fulfill this research goal continuously during my undergraduate career. Personally, the research I have done in the past, I have completed over a long period of time. I find that treating research as a process of inquiry allows me to present my best work, work that I feel the most confident in. I know that research at the university level is much more demanding, therefore I hope to bring myself up to the challenge. I am most excited to conduct research with other faculty members here on campus. I see collaborative work as being much more enjoyable and meaningful. Also, as I work my way through the honors curriculum, I am excited to engage in the more advanced classes as well, and get into the specifics of what I am passionate about.

Academic Enrichment

My planned curriculum relates very well to my future aspirations. A dream job of mine would be to work in a consulate or embassy abroad. I really like the idea of working for the government, especially handling foreign policy. One of the reasons I chose the International Studies major was because it connected my desire to help people as well as gain global knowledge and experience. International Studies also incorporated my interested in languages very well with regards to my curriculum. Through my German minor, I hope to be completely fluent by the time I graduate. I also would like to get a second minor in another relevant subject, possibly public policy or global public health. I selected the GE courses I did because I thought they were interesting and relevant to my studies. I am not a math and science person at all, so I tried to choose classes that I would enjoy and actually want to do succeed in. So far, I think my classes have started to develop the basic skills I need to understand International Studies.

Leadership Development

So far at OSU, I am involved with the Collegiate Council on World Affairs, and Buckeye Blackout, both of which are centered around my interests of International Affairs and environmental sustainability and music. For both clubs, I work in large groups towards a common goal, and I have meet very interesting and passionate people who share many similar interests with myself. Both clubs differ in their sense of formality, commitment, and energy which I enjoy. I have done internships and worked in the past, in addition to the extra-curricular activities I am doing now in college. I think all the work I have done has increased my confidence and self-reliance. I believe I have developed into a more analytical and multi-faceted person because of the work that I have done. I am more knowledgeable about how the professional and non-possessional work worlds function.

Service Engagement

Other than the two clubs I am currently in, I also have commitments throughout the week. I have made it a point to go my German Teacher’s office hours every Monday. Even though German is one of my best subjects, I really like my professor, and I enjoy talking to him about his international experiences. I try to go to the office hours of most of my teachers because I always leave feeling better about the information, and I really enjoy getting to know my professors. Apart from those commitments, I plan on volunteering throughout my time here in college and give my time to different causes that align with my interests. I also plan on volunteering abroad in order to connect my love of international studies to my desire to help people.