DSWS Day of Service

For my first 5 volunteering hours of the semester were completed during the DSWS Day of Service on Saturday November 17th from 12-5pm. I was in the group that helped the Rock City Church’s Dream Center initiative. This was the group that was hosting a Thanksgiving meal for low-income and homeless Columbus citizens. At the church, my group helped fill and organize the goody bags that would be given to all of the people who attended the thanksgiving dinner. The bags were filled with socks, toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, etc. After we filled the bags we organized their storage room which had toiletries and non-perishables, along with a lot of coats. Around 3pm we then mobilized into some neighborhoods nearby and passed out the flyers notifying people of the free thanksgiving dinners.

I really enjoyed this service opportunity and it reminded me how much I loved volunteering in high school. I will be looking to join a service group on campus next semester, or try and implement a service aspect into an organization that I will be involved in after next semester.