STEM seminar

On Monday October 7th I attended the physical chemistry seminar: ” Molecular dynamics simulations of bio molecular crystals”. The speaker is Benjamin G. Levine, a graduate from Michigan st university. I was very excited to attend this event and see what new things I can take away from this and learn from. The seminar took place in room 130 in the Chemical and Bio molecular Engineering and Chemistry building, also known as the CBEC. I attended this event with a few of my peers from my STEM scholars living learning community. I learned that NR recombination occurs at molecule-sized defects and that conical intersections facilitate NR decay in molecules. Although I was confused throughout the seminar as I have yet to learn such a deep aspect of science yet, it was still very interesting. In addition I was able to grasp somewhat of an understanding as to what the speaker was presenting and in a matter of fact made me rather excited to continue to pursue engineering and what other science related topics I am soon to dive into and learn about. Furthermore, I learned about Computing Conical Intersections as well. Despite my confusion in regards to this topic, I learned that the standard method for identifying conical intersections is the state averaged complete active space self- consistent field method. Along with this method is a few challenges associated with it. This challenges consisted of high computational cost, improper scaling of energies with system size, and nonphysical spatial symmetry breaking.To identify and explore the photo physically, relevant regions of the excited state PES we apply AIMD also known as Additive Increase Multiplicative Decrease. A mixture of quantum chemical methods ( including highly accurate methods such as EOM-CCSD and CASPT2) to characterize the PES. Fortunately, I was introduced to Dangling Bond dynamics as well and the influence bond angles have. Also, hydrogen terminated SI nano particles have a high photo luminescence quantum yield in addition to strong quantum confinement effects. In addition Oxidized Si Nano particles have a lower photo luminescence quantum yield. Other than my fellow peers, I did not talk or converse with anyone else at the seminar. I did in fact feel out of place because of the material that was being presented and the rest of the audience did seem a lot older. The seminar did meet my expectations as they took a very specific aspect of chemistry and dove very deep in depth within this topic which I found quite interesting the way a specific topic can be elaborated, discussed and researched the way it was. I do think that there is merit to being active in the academic community as an undergraduate student as it can definitely support an help with networking, meeting, and being next to other individuals who share the same interests and passions. Depending on the type of seminar it can be a waste of time because if one were to go to any random seminar it most likely will be pointless as why would one take interest in a seminar they aren’t interested and passionate about. However, if one attends a seminar they are interested in and passionate about it may teach them something they had not already known or even better motivate them to dive deeper and pursue their interests within that field.