Student Organization

The organization I have decided to join was the STEM outreach organization. This organization is made up of a group of other Ohio state university students that create and deliver hands on STEM related projects and experiences to various schools, and libraries. The projects were designed to be taken home by the student. IN addition, the projects were also designed to cost one dollar or less per student. I attended my first STEM outreach event on Wednesday September 11th. It was great experience and I am excited to go again. Some of my fellow scholars also attended. Furthermore, when we first walked in we were greeted with pizza which is always a positive. Following that we then went over what the club is about and what its goals are. We were then fortunate enough to create a homemade flash light. This just so happened to be one of the projects that was going to be presented, and created by the children that the club visited. We were then given the necessary supplies to create this homemade flashlight. We were first given cardboard upon which we had to cut and manipulate into a small box like size. I then cut a small hole for the red light emitting diode (LED) to connect to the rest of the wires inside the box while shining light on the outside. Next, I was given a battery and three copper wires. With the given sandpaper we sanded the burnt edges of the copper wires. using tape I connected one side of one wire to one side of the battery, and then obtained another wire and taped one side from that wire to the other side of the battery. Following that I then connected one end of the wire from the battery and wrapped it around the small metal piece coming from the LED light. With the last copper wire I attached the last remaining side connecting to the LED to the one side of the last copper wire which will connect to the outside of the box. The last available 2 remaining ends of the wire will connect to a paper clip on the outside of the box. one side of the wire is connected to the larger loop of the paper clip and the last remaining  side of the wire was connected to the smaller loop of the paper clip. We bent the small loop of the paper clip upwards so that when we pushed it down the circuit was completed and the light would turn on.  I am very excited for future events and projects throughout this club. After joining it has influenced me to try and join other various clubs throughout the university. I am very excited to work with the younger children and ultimately help and support with the club as hopefully the children will gain an entertaining and educational experience. My next meeting happens to be Wednesday September 25th at seven o’clock in Enarson and I cant wait to see what they have in store for us.