Studio Space Rendering

Research

Within the studio space rendering project, I was challenged to imagine that I have received my own private studio space of 200 square feet. Then to visualize that space and place at least 4 objects in it. There are multiple goals for this project one being how to use simple shapes like cubes, and spheres to create complex shapes. As well as understanding the relationship between forms and their position in space and how linear perspective comes from observing the invisible and implied lines. Lastly how to apply one- and two-point perspectives to construct these forms and their position. I started this project off by researching how to create a grid space that looks like a room. After creating the first draft of a grid I began to experiment with objects inside the space, the first of which was a chair.
Researching for this project was really interesting and was pretty extensive for a project that didn’t involve any exercises. For starters, I got to work with a ton of new things like 1 & 2 point and parallel perspective, using simple forms like cubes and spheres to creates forms. It was cool to see the project pull what we did in the last project and carry it out even further with a new project. Experimentation with forms in space and how different perspectives affect different shapes and forms. Firstly, I had to learn what all these new perspectives were and just experiment with them. The only way to do research was to draw using all these perspectives and it eventually paid off the more I drew, the more I understood it. The same went for creating forms from simple shapes because we already started that within the Shape Grammar project. However, with this project, we got to turn simple forms like cubes and spheres into actual forms ranging from couches to bookcases. Seen below is a glimpse of experimentation with placing shapes in space. I learned that where it is in the room, greatly affects what the object will look like. After applying shapes in space using a one-point perspective, it was time to try two-point and parallel. I didn’t do any extensive research and experimentation with regards to those two perspectives because the final deliverable was required to be in one point perspective.

Chair design within the first grid space

Iterations

There were a couple of different aspects of this project that went through iterations. The room itself along with all the items that would eventually end up in there went through iterations. The room was hard to make, especially not having set dimensions so that took many tries to finally create the space that would be used in the final composition. Same for the items, the item would look different anywhere it was put and since they were being built from simple forms each item had to go through its own manipulation and iterations until a final product was settled on.
After placing this chair in a space, I started to brainstorm what I wanted within my studio space. I was inspired by objects within my room and from my house back home. There are four different types of objects that needed to be placed within the space. Something to sit on, a workspace like a desk or a table, a personal item no larger than a person, and a wall or structural detail. Taking these things into account I modeled my desk and chair from what is in my dorm room. I decided I wanted stairs leading up to a loft as my wall or structural object. Finally, I gained inspiration from my tv and pennants from home when designing the monitor on my desk and the pennants on the wall. After generating these ideas, I took tracing paper and placed my objects within the grid to experiment and see if it felt right. After adjusting and placing everything where I wanted, I created a final design for the room and was ready to begin on the final deliverable.

The first design of a grid to create a studio space
Final template of room with items in it

Production

I finally placed all my objects where I wanted them and was ready to finalize my ideas. I redesigned my studio space, so the depth was greater than the width. I ended up with a 16×12” grid where each inch correlated to a foot and was ready to place my objects. I eventually finished my project and after talking to my professor we both felt there was something missing that could help push the final product to the next level. We decided the next step was to experiment and work with shading. The staircase takes up a lot of space and it is supposed to look like it’s up against the wall, but before shading, I felt like it wasn’t reaching its goal. After learning about shading techniques and the best way to go about shading I decided to use the hatching technique and I loved how the result turned out.
For the production stage, I took my most confident iterations and began to apply them towards my final composition. I had found everywhere I wanted my objects to be placed and I went about it in a specific way. I started by constructing the room to have my reference points near realistic eye level. I then created the loft and stairs because it was at this level and ran from the front of the room to the back, so it made logical sense to do that first. Next came some extra figures which were the sunroom and the indented window by the hammock. Since the hammock would hang in front of the window it had to be done before the hammock was created. Then I went from the back of the room to the front because if I went the other way some objects would have overlapped and created a difficult time to construct the final composition. So, I started with the door, followed by the hammock, and chair. All of the other things were drawn at the very end because they were interacting with other objects in some way. The tv was sat atop the desk, with the chair halfway pushed under the desk, and the pennants hanging above the stairs.

Portfolio Project

View final project at Studio Space Rendering Project