22 July 2018
LA to Las Vegas is a brand new sitcom that recently aired on television, starring Jackpot Airlines and a group of staff that operate the daily flight between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Filled with interesting characters from the captain to flight attendants and of course the passengers, LA to Las Vegas ‘took off’ this season bringing laughter to households in a relatively unconventional setting. However, due to the nature of the show, producers tries to entice laughter at the expense of accurate real life portrayal. Though this show is all fun and games for those who are familiar with aviation, it has very real potential to spread misinformation, either directly or unconsciously to audiences who are not in the know yet still uses the public aviation network. The scale of the problem is put into perspective when we take into account less than 1% of the entire population of the USA is actively flying in one form or another. That leaves the other 99% at risk of incorrectly assuming some of the information from the show must have basis in real life, when the truth is the show is blown out of proportion for the sole purpose of entertainment. For example, there was a scene where Captain Dave snuck in a drink right before his flight, much to the dismay of other passengers. Though many will realize this is a scene shown for the purpose of entertainment, it will still undoubtedly put the idea that it might not be uncommon for pilots to take a shot before their flight into the minds of those who are disconnected from the world of aviation, who doesn’t know better. Another aspect of stereotypes that was reinforce was the lax attitudes of the crews on board, who worry more about their personal problems than keeping the flight orderly and safe. Cockpit hierarchy was also an idea that was reinforced, not only with how the captain affirms his authority on the plane, but also the fact that the first officer is comparatively quiet and reserved. This show is just one example of many that portrays the world of aviation in an inaccurate way to the outside world, and that has the effect of misinforming the public about how aviation functions in the modern world. In a sense, LA to Las Vegas was also partially a failure in entertainment with how everything is exaggerated beyond proportions. With no base in facts from the real world, the cabin space is too obviously seen as constructed than observed. It is almost as if the setting of flight is an afterthought thrown into the comedy series to give it a more unique spin. It is truly unfortunate that LA to Las Vegas has been cancelled, getting no second chance to redeem itself.