The Astro Society Election Application is live! You can read about the positions up for election and choose which ones you’d like to run for. Election day is Thursday, February 25th so the application will be available until noon that day. To apply, visit here and submit an application! All positions are open and we encourage you to apply to all the positions you are interested in.
– The President is in charge of registering our club in Autumn as an official student organization at Ohio State. They work with fellow E-Board members to plan meetings and reach out to potential speakers. They handle any administrative tasks that arise and delegate tasks to the rest of the E-Board. The President oversees the planning and funding of our annual Green Bank trip, along with any other major events. They also lead our weekly, large-group meetings.
VICE PRESIDENT OF EVENTS
– The Vice President of Events is in charge of event planning. This includes everything from star parties to our annual Green Bank trip. For the trip to Green Bank, they work alongside the President and Treasurer to plan and fund this event. They are also in charge of the Astronomical Society Booth at the Student Involvement Fair. The Events Vice President will also take an active role in the planning of weekly meetings, including emailing speakers and communicating meeting ideas with the rest of the E-Board. They are tasked with leading the Events Committee, which includes meeting with their members weekly.
VICE PRESIDENT OF INCLUSION, DIVERSITY, AND RETENTION
– The Vice President of Inclusion, Diversity, and Retention is our newest addition to the Astro Society E-Board, and our third vice president (thrice president if you will). The main responsibility of the IDR vice-president is to be a liaison between Astro Society and UMAAC, Physics Climate and Diversity Committee, and local community outreach incentives. With the help of their committee, the IDR vice-president will also monitor the climate of Astro Society, and come up with ideas to make the club a more inclusive environment for all.
VICE PRESIDENT OF MEDIA
– The Vice President of Media manages all social media platforms for Astro Society, including the website. They are in charge of posting weekly to Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. The Astro Society website must be updated weekly. They also lead the Social Media Committee.
– The Secretary manages the Astro Society email, records Astro Society meetings, and takes minutes at E-Board meetings. They send out weekly emails to members sharing important updates about the club and upcoming meetings. They also create, edit, and publish the Astro Society Newsletter every Friday, which covers space news, club meetings, campus/world space events, and more. They lead the Newsletter Committee as well to help with its creation, editing, and publishing.
– The Treasurer is one of the most important roles on the E-Board, as they manage all the finances. They are tasked with submitting programming funding requests each semester along with annual paperwork needed for the club. They are in charge of purchasing food, fundraising materials, etc. whenever needed. They work alongside the Vice President of Events and the President to plan the annual Green Bank trip and reserve bussing for any trips. They also oversee the Events Committee.