Composition Blog Post

For this blog post, I chose to show a part of my identity by taking pictures around my town, Dublin. All of the photos I took, are some part of my life – either today or of my past.

For my first picture, I tried to create an open composition style. The photo was taken from lower than eye level and shows one of the popular areas of the historic part of Dublin. The lines from the brick pathway are leading off of the page, as well as the rest of the buildings in the top half of the photo.

For my representation of thirds, I used a picture I took in Colorado of the Royal Gorge Bridge. The Ohio state flag lies right on the one of the intersections of the thirds lines and leaves the rest of the photo open, bringing more emphasis to the flag.

For one of my three photos of a closed composition, I took a photo of a tombstone at a small cemetery behind my elementary school. The subject of this photo is clearly the stone, with the grassy background making it stand out. This picture could also be seen as a symmetrical photo too. Although, the writing on the stone isn’t symmetrical, everything else is.

As a symmetrical composition, I chose to use a set of doors that are located near my house at a place called the Dancing Bunnies. This picture is perfectly symmetrical, and everything is balanced evenly in the picture.

And for my final picture, I decided to throw in another example of a closed composition. This photo depicts my new identity as an OSU student. The sign stands out and it closes off the image.

During this assignment, it was interesting to see what different angles and editing techniques do to a picture. With closed compositions, the subject is made to stand out – or pop – more than it would if the picture was taken using a closed composition. Also, with a symmetrical composition, it provides a calm balance with all of the other matter of the photograph.