Concrete canoe is a national ASCE competition with over 200 participating universities in 18 conferences. Our team competes each year at the Ohio Valley Student Conference (OVSC). At competition the canoe is judged based on four categories; final product, race performance, oral presentation, and technical report. The canoe must be designed to be lightweight, but still have the strength to hold up to 4 racers. Concrete isn’t typically designed for these uses, so students must learn about the different aggregates, cements, and additives used to accomplish this task.
Both the design and build processes are very informative, and provide experience that goes above and beyond what students learn in the classroom. The team also competes in the concrete bat and concrete horseshoes competitions.
- Captain: Veronica Burk – Burk.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Co-Captain: Domenic DiVencenzo – email@example.com
- Treasurer: Micheal Gomori – Gomori.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Head of Research and Development: Ben Peters – Peters.email@example.com
- Dr. Lisa Burris – Burris.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Anthony Massari – Massari.email@example.com
Accomplishments 2016: (Official OVSC 2016 Results)
- 4th OVSC Overall Concrete Canoe
- 3rd OVSC Concrete Bowling Ball
If you would like to participate, donate or contact the Ohio State concrete canoe team, please contact us by emailing one of the officers of the executive board; their emails are shown above.
Special thanks to Nycon and AlpSupply for donating fibers to us! Check them out here: